paying for single unit actions

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
footslogger
Major
Major

paying for single unit actions

Post by footslogger » Fri May 14, 2010 12:15 am

OK, I've read through the rules a couple of times, and the orders section a couple more times and have some questions.

1) Which single unit actions do you pay for? and when?
I'm reading through the example on page 50 it looks like the battalions all pay one MP to switch from their formation into column of companies (this is counted as FORM, other) and then move for free. I don't understand how to determine when to pay to move and when moving is free.
2) how many actions can you do in a single order activation? it seems that in both the second and third order activation the battalions are doing two things, moving, and changing formation
3) assuming you can do two actions per activation, if you pay for one, how do you determine which one you have to pay for?

Meta-question: should I be able to find the answers to these questions in the rules, and if so, on what page?
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Fri May 14, 2010 1:00 am

Due to time zones this is the first, but possibly not the best, reply.
As far as i understand things:
A single brigade order will allow you to perform a move, an exploitation will allow a second brigade action to be made (new order delivered or make a second move for the brigade) - appropriate MPs must be made for the exploitation.

Single unit actions cost MPs. These are more expensive if outside the brigade commanders radius(x2) and with the number of single actions a unit makes in a turn (x2 for second action, x3 for third).
Therefore, a unit on attack may move 10cm (infantry in column of attack) as part of its brigade move. Then you see a situation where quick action is needed. You pay a single unit action for a further move (cost depends on the ratring of the unit) then double for the next move to get this battalion into charge range. Finally you pay points for the charge, but now at x3 the stated cost as this is the third Single Unit Action for this particular unit in this move.
Infantry firing costs no points.
Alternatively, this brigade may, instead of charging, use a Form order as its final action and form line. So yes, it has moved and changed formation, but with different Single Unit Actions and at increasing cost.

Raeacting to charge threats may mean you spend MPs before your turn.

Hope this helps, and I hope I will be corrected if I am wrong.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Good answer! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Fri May 14, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks, but it doesn't really help. I can't figure out from the rules when a battalion's action costs additional MPs as a single unit action, or not because that action is covered by the brigade MPs.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri May 14, 2010 3:12 pm

All units within the Brigade will operate under the current orders so if the brigade is moving then all units within the brigade can move using the basic MP cost. If a unit within a brigade is outwith command radius then that unit would have to use single unit MP's to move. You might also find that once a brigade has made its basic move and you still have some MP's left you can use this to allow a single units (depending on troop quality) to make extra moves.

If a brigade is on attack orders then all units can move under the basic MP's paid but when you actually wish to charge then each charging or supporting unit has to pay single unit MP's to charge.

Does this help?

Cheers
Dave
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Fri May 14, 2010 3:39 pm

Thanks, yes, it helps a little.

Let me ask this. Is it correct to say: any action in the "MUST" column describing a brigade order is done without any additonal MPs and any action in the "MAY" column is done only with additional MPs for single unit actions?

I almost believe that, except the REFORM order description seems to indicate that formation changes don't cost anything (even though the summary table seems to indicate they do).
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 15, 2010 11:06 am

footslogger wrote:Thanks, yes, it helps a little.

Let me ask this. Is it correct to say: any action in the "MUST" column describing a brigade order is done without any additonal MPs and any action in the "MAY" column is done only with additional MPs for single unit actions?

I almost believe that, except the REFORM order description seems to indicate that formation changes don't cost anything (even though the summary table seems to indicate they do).
In most cases the 'MUST' action usually doesn't cost extra MP's, troops will move under Advance or Move orders without the expenditure of extra points. The exception is charging. The Brigade has to be on Attack orders to launch a charge and MP's would be paid for their Brigade order, the 'MUST' part means that if units are in charge reach they MUST charge the enemy and this would cost extra MP's for each unit charging and these points must be laid aside before you can exploit with other brigades.

The 'MAY' section means that you don't have to perform these actions but if you do then they will cost single unit points.

If you wish to reform single units then they do cost extra MP's on top of the cost for their Brigade orders.

Is this any clearer?
Dave
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat May 15, 2010 11:57 am

Footslogger,

If it's any consolation, I had the exact same questions when I first started reading the rules, especially the MUST and MAY parts since it does state in the rules that actions in column two are covered by the Manoeuvre Points spent in brigade orders.

It took quite a bit of patience on the part of Dave O'Brien and others to get it through my skull.

Now that I have the hang of it, it all seems very logical and the game flows at a great pace.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Sat May 15, 2010 3:24 pm

obriendavid wrote:
footslogger wrote:Thanks, yes, it helps a little.

In most cases the 'MUST' action usually doesn't cost extra MP's, troops will move under Advance or Move orders without the expenditure of extra points. The exception is charging. The Brigade has to be on Attack orders to launch a charge and MP's would be paid for their Brigade order, the 'MUST' part means that if units are in charge reach they MUST charge the enemy and this would cost extra MP's for each unit charging and these points must be laid aside before you can exploit with other brigades.

The 'MAY' section means that you don't have to perform these actions but if you do then they will cost single unit points.

If you wish to reform single units then they do cost extra MP's on top of the cost for their Brigade orders.

Is this any clearer?
Dave
Yes, but it sounds awfully ad hoc. Is it actually written somewhere in the rules where I can read it?

So amending my proposed text above. It sounds like it should read
"For all brigade orders except REFORM, any action in the "MUST" column describing a brigade order is done without any additonal MPs unless it is a charge action which does cost additional MPs and any action in the "MAY" column is done only with additional MPs for single unit actions. For the REFORM order, the formation change action in the "MAY" column does not cost any additional MPs."
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Sat May 15, 2010 3:25 pm

CoffinDodger wrote:Footslogger,

If it's any consolation, I had the exact same questions when I first started reading the rules, especially the MUST and MAY parts since it does state in the rules that actions in column two are covered by the Manoeuvre Points spent in brigade orders.

It took quite a bit of patience on the part of Dave O'Brien and others to get it through my skull.

Now that I have the hang of it, it all seems very logical and the game flows at a great pace.

Jim
I'm sure it is. Would be nice if it were written down in one place somewhere.
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Mon May 17, 2010 12:12 am

Footslogger,
In my copy, at least, in the tables for the orders it is written in the MAY column that extra MPs need to be paid for these actions. It may not be in the rest of the text but is clearly there on the charts.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 17, 2010 2:39 pm

[quote="footslogger
Yes, but it sounds awfully ad hoc. Is it actually written somewhere in the rules where I can read it?
quote]

There are three pages 44, 45 and 46 that all explain single unit actions then the chart on page 47 lists all the single unit actions and how much each costs in relation to troop quality. If you are still unsure then perhaps you could give us exact situations you have currently had in games where single unit actions have given you a problem? We would also be interested in anyone else that's had a problem with this section of the rules.

Cheers
Dave
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Mon May 17, 2010 5:59 pm

I'll go back through it. I didn't have trouble to figure out how much single unit actions cost, I just didn't know when to pay for them or not, based on the brigade orders.
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm back. I have the rules in front of me now also.

I have a couple of situations and I'll go through them one at a time.

A brigade of 3 battalions in attack column. Two battalions are in charge reach of enemy infantry and it's my go. The brigade is seasoned with advance orders.

I switch the brigade from advance to attack paying 3MPs. I charge with the two battalions that are in charge reach. The summary says I must do this charge. Do I have to pay for a single unit action for each of these charges?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Yes Footslogger you do.

If you have no MPs left they cannot go this turn but must try and go next if nothing has prevented it between your current phase and your next phase
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford