Multiplayer Games - Commanders

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Multiplayer Games - Commanders

Post by Captain Chook » Sat May 15, 2010 5:36 am

As you are aware VB and I are setting up a game for the local wargames conference. We are lucky to be reinforced by a dynamic duo from Wellington.

As we have not played a multiplayer game any useful pointers on how to manage this would be appreciated. The game is set in the Peninsula with an Anglo-Portuguese force and a small Spanish division against the dreaded French.
With two players a side are we best to have a CinC, two "wing commanders" and then divisional generals under them, or do we just have the CinC and divisional generals?
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Sun May 16, 2010 11:46 pm

OK, have read more but still uncertain.

Do we treat Corps commanders like divisional commanders? It seems we roll dice based on all the brigades in the corps and these are the points the Corps general has to use. The implication is that the divisional generals do not therefore now roll for MPs. However, it is stated that it is important for them to still be represented to ensure the correct transmission of orders. I am unsure then how this works.
Also, the Corps commander is going to be out of range of many of his brigadiers so will not be able to easily change orders.
Is this where the divisional commanders come in - as long as the divisional general is in range, the orders can then be sent along to the brigade commanders?

Sorry if I am thick here, but we need to be reasonably certain for our up-coming conference.

Thanks,

Anthony
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Multiplayer Games - Commanders

Post by kiwipeterh » Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 am

Captain Chook wrote:As you are aware VB and I are setting up a game for the local wargames conference. We are lucky to be reinforced by a dynamic duo from Wellington.
Sacre bleu - 'dynamic duo from Wellington'!!! :shock:

Looks like I need to replace my travelling companion!! :twisted:

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Mon May 17, 2010 3:54 am

Unfortunately you might end up with the Spanish, in which case you will be dynamic in your running away! :)
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Mon May 17, 2010 4:53 am

How very insightful of you Mr Chook. And we haven't even met yet! :lol:

I must remember to pack my running shoes!! :wink:

Salute
von Peter himself, who is very much looking forward to the game and the wargaming weekend
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:30 am

Chain of command is very important in R2E the reason being that chain of command was very important in real life.

For games of one of two divisions per side I would recommend the player in charge to assume the role of Divisional or Corps commander. This means the additional MP variation for each side is in the range -1 MP to +2 MP. When combined with the basic DAv x # of brigades this will give enough MPs to keep the game going at a pace and present a few challenges of the
'oh crap I don't have enough MPs to conquer the world'
type.
If in a game of this size you use a CinC level commander who has a range +2MPs to +8MPs it could all seem a bit like Blitzkrieg.
If you are playing a Corps level game with 2 players per side use a Corps commander as the most senior officer on the table. Ranfge is then -1 to +2 MPs.
You then have 2 options. Make one of the players the Corps commander and so every turn he can either split his extra MPs between himself and his partner or if unlucky subtract an MP from him or his partner.
Alternatively put the Corps commander model on table and noone plays him. Both players are Divisional commanders. The purpose of the Corps commander is then
Morale effect
1.Addition of MPs (which still have to be parcelled out on the proximity to 2.Divisional commander principle)
3.Can change orders if near a brigade as he has overall command.

All officer models MUST be represented as the proximity of :
Corps Commander to Divisional Commander impacts on if/how many MPs can be allocated from the surplus(if their is one) to a Divisional commander
The proximity of Divisional commanders to brigades/brigadiers affects whether they can change orders or not(Unless the Corps commander substitutes becasue HE is in range of the brigade wishing to change orders)

The proximity of Brigadiers to their brigades/battlaions as this has a morale effect in terms of modifiers and command radius.

All officers are important. Always represent them, always remember to move them and always be aware of their positions relative to each other and their troops..

Hope this helps you chaps

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford