Sorry!!!! A couple of Artillery questions.

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sorry!!!! A couple of Artillery questions.

Post by Captain Chook » Mon May 17, 2010 9:13 am

1. Are the retreat and rout rates right for artillery. In the fold out tables the retreat rate is faster than rout.

2. 3-6pdr and horse artillery can fire if moved. Does this mean after manhandling them or a true move. Can this still occur if exploitation or multiple Single Unit Actions are used?

I have tried to find the answers but just can't seem to find them (although now I have typed this I am bound to find the answers within the next minute or two). :x
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Sorry!!!! A couple of Artillery questions.

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Captain Chook wrote:1. Are the retreat and rout rates right for artillery. In the fold out tables the retreat rate is faster than rout.

2. 3-6pdr and horse artillery can fire if moved. Does this mean after manhandling them or a true move. Can this still occur if exploitation or multiple Single Unit Actions are used?

I have tried to find the answers but just can't seem to find them (although now I have typed this I am bound to find the answers within the next minute or two). :x
I don't know where you're looking but in my playsheet, artillery movement table and in the main rules, page 56 retreating artillery move 8"+D6 Routing artillery move 10"+D6.

Moved artillery only counts as manhandled otherwise it would be classed as unlimbering and unlimbered artillery are not allowed to fire unless they are horse artillery.

Hope this helps?
Dave
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Mon May 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Actually, found the answer on page 57. However, what happens if I use multiple actions? .Horse artillery, in a single move, may fire and limber or unlimber and fire or move half and unlimber or limber and move half. If I do one of these and then do a single unit activation could Ifire and limber, then move?????????????

My play sheet has horse artillery retreat as 12+d6 and rout as 10+d6. The others seem to be the right way round.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 17, 2010 9:10 pm

You could make multiple moves with your horse artillery such as moving, moving a second time then unlimber and fire as a third exploitation move but this would cost a lot of MP's that could probably be used more efficiently elsewhere. We learnt this through bitter experience in playtesting.

Just checked the horse artillery movement rates and you are correct they are the wrong way round. I'm sure Clarence will take a note of this.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Yup, we missed that somehow, sorry :oops:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Mon May 17, 2010 10:12 pm

As ever, thanks for the prompt replies.

Sorry to find a typo again.

Perhaps it would just be easier if one of you came out here to show us how to play. Tauranga is great in the summer. :)