OFFICIAL: REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE WEEKENDER OCTOBER 2010

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:29 pm

Dave is NOT pro French I can assure you Ray :lol: He is about as Francophobe as they come. The scenario was a tough one no doubt about that. I thought the Allies gave a great account of themselves too. Remember though, Ligny was a very costly defeat from which the Prussians bounced back within 24 hours. Quatre Bras was at best a draw in real life during which Welington actually had more troops than you lot.. I think the result was fair and you did OK. As did the French :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:28 pm

barr7430 wrote: ... He is about as Francophobe as they come.
Whereas I am a convicted Francophile recently released for good behaviour. :lol:

Ray,

I hope to have my first regiment of Napoleonic Froggies painted by the time we meet again and would like to throw down a friendly challenge.

Take your largest regiment of Light Cavalry which I believe is twenty-four models strong and class them as whatever morale grade you wish. Form them in Column of Squadrons and charge my battalion of thirty-six figures who will be the exact same morale grade as yours and will recieve the charge in line.

Ranked up awaiting a coat of paint

The loser of the encounter buys the winner a pint. :lol:

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:34 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:51 pm

I have been meaning to chip in before now but things have been busy. However I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for a really great weekend and in particualr to the facilitators, David, David and Barry.

I am still chuckling over the look on Adrian's face when we launched the light Cavalry brigade on day two..... "how many charges - what all four regiments?". Modesty prevents me from going to detail but it was certainly glorious - just what Hussars are for!

cheers

Matt
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:21 pm

It was a glorious charge Matt but IIRC only 50% effective, I think the Prussians dragoons broke one regiment and the infantry in square did for the other one but the rule ammendment we are thinking about would have helped them.
It was good to meet you at the weekend and hopefully we will meet up again.
Cheers
Dave
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:45 pm

I would like to 'clear up' what may have been misconstrued by my previous posting.

Those of you that know my 'sense of humour' would have realised that I was not being overly critical of the 'balance' of the forces! I quite like the 'underdog concept' - and little victories like Landwehr routing French Dragoons was just one example - I feel more 'victorious' and gain more glory than if I actually win!

The whole weekend was fantastic! The umpiring overall was excellent - and umpiring is an unenviable task - we gamers do like to 'push' for an advantage at the umpires expense!

Dave, Dave and Barry did a great job - not just on the game but also as 'hosts' - Dave O'B in particular staying up and looking after us in the bar until 3.20am Sunday morning!!

The company of all the attendees was first class and I am really looking forward to next years calender.

Thanks guys.

Blucher
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Many instances of glory Ade.. no doubt about it.

I have been reading Andrew Uffindell's 'The Eagle's last triumph' on this trip abroad and have been struck by how similar our scenario was to the action on both fronts 15-16th June. The Gilly battle was just like a mini Ligny with the exact same result.. French victorious after deploying the Guard but too tired to pursue.. Prussians bloody but able to make their retreat in reasonable order. Casualties heavy on both sides.
The Allied defence at Quatre Bras almost identical but instead of a final charge by Kellerman's Cuirassiers we had Bauduin's Light Infantry do the same thing and get cut to pieces exactly AT the crossroads by Exactly the same formations of Allied troops... very spooky!!!

Makes me even more pleased with the scenario actually :D

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:59 pm

barr7430 wrote: Makes me even more pleased with the scenario actually :D
I'm glad I came up with idea! :wink:
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Success has many Fathers. Failure is alas, always an orphan
Last edited by barr7430 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:36 pm

barr7430 wrote:Success has many Fathers. Failrly is alas, always an orphan
What!!!
can you say that in English. :D
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Corrected :oops:
Call it JET LAG FINGER.... just off the Dubai flight... nice foul up...the shitsucker which is supposed to empty the bogs when the plane is being turned around was obviously faulty in DXB. BA announce 3 hours into the flight that the toilets are all FULL and cannot be used and that we are NOT diverting but continuing to London :shock: :shock: ]
Can you imagine it! Luckily I'd paid a visit just before the announcement was made so felt quite calm.. but that was REAL PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE for the 200+ people who had been hitting the complimentary drinks!

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Barry,

Didn't they have a Jobbywheecher?

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430