Incredably dumb q - regiments or squadrons?

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Incredably dumb q - regiments or squadrons?

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:06 pm

It's probably a really dumb q, but I can't seem to find what the maneuver/tactical unit is in RtE for cavalry. The formation and Barry's OB's for the Waterloo battle indicate that cavalry fight as regiments, but there are enough ambiguous references to squadrons that the situation is confusing.

If the tactical unit is a regiment, are single squadrons that are part of a formation just treated as really tiny regiments?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Rob,

in R2E the cavalry tactical uint is a regiment.. whatever size.

Hope this helps

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Ok, so then how does one form a line "two squadrons wide," as the description of a cavalry line says. Same with the columns of squadrons?

Do I even need to accurately represent the size of individual squadrons in a regiment, or should I just divide the total regimental size by the number of squadrons to get a nominal size for organizing/moving on the tabletop?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:21 am

Coloumn of Squadrons is only applicable if you have more than one squadron. The combat bonus for line and column of squadrons is the same:
Double the base number of combat dice. If you only have one squadron your Line will be one squadron wide. This does not penalise you in any way Rob.

Unit: 1 squadron of 7 DRILLED Dragoons = 2 combat groups (4 + 3 models)
= 2 dice
Charging = double it to 4 DICE

No need for subdivision of a small unit for tabletop movement. Cavalry in a single rank are always more representationally accurate than multiple lines becasue of the depth issue.

Your fine just to use them as is.

Does this help?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:13 pm

Sort of, yeah.

Right now, I'm working on assigning painting and basing priorities.

My base assumption for regiments where I have a squadron count X and a number of men in the regiment R is to have X squadrons of R/X models. That way, where possible, my formations will be evenly sized.

For both 1809 and 1813, I have some data on the sizes of individual squadrons, especially for the French. Some of the squadrons are close enough they're the same figure size. Others differ by 50 or so men. Should I just make sure all "squadrons" are evenly sized model wise, and account for the real strength on the roster sheet?
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Rob Herrick wrote: Some of the squadrons are close enough they're the same figure size. Others differ by 50 or so men. Should I just make sure all "squadrons" are evenly sized model wise, and account for the real strength on the roster sheet?
It doesn't matter if a unit is short of a couple of figures or has extra figures, just record the correct number on the roster sheet.

Cheers
Dave