Astounding forced march

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Astounding forced march

Post by Dale » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:34 am

I was astounded, once I got the hang of the MPs to have a leading infantry brigade march from their start lines up a road 59 inches! How did I do that? Three 16 inch moves and two road bonuses of 6 and 5 inches respectively. They marched off the road into position for the third part of their move so no road bonus that move.

Now that got my opponents attention immediately and I got what I deserved when all four battalions of the rather isolated brigade were routed by artillery, smallarms fire and well timed charges into my exposed flank.

Any lessons learned - you betcha!

For information the MPs expended were 2 for the first move phase, 2 plus 1 for the second and 2 plus 2 for the third part of the move - a total of 9. I hope I did that correctly Barry.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:05 pm

sounds like you got the arithmetic bang on Dale and then got - banged by the Russkies. That is a very good example of Exploitation.. I am moving thicpost to the Republic to Empire forum.. hope you don't mind!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Dave Tulloch made the same mistake the first day and lost his whole division because he was caught in CoM. I thought he was going to make the same mistake the 2nd day as he started out in CoM again and he was fortunate that Barry only had one cavalry unit left as he could have had a re-run of the previous day. People forget that players can exploit and move a few times before they charge if they get enough MP's. It seemed to take some players a while to get a hold on the consept of charges coming after normal movement and shooting and some of them learnt the hard way.

Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:38 am

It was sheer joy to watch Dale's French walk force march up the road and stop just in front of my Russian artillery. Close range, large target, unsupported, it doesn't get much better!
Thanks Dale , you made my day.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"