Artillery refit

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Artillery refit

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Another question which came up at our latest LOGW big bash was about artillery refitting.

Once an artillery battery has fired its 4 rounds of shooting it has to retire 12" to pull out of line, this would take one move. Once it is in position it then rolls a d3 to see how many moves it takes to refit. Once it has made its refit the battery then has to take another move to get back into postion. The smallest number of moves a battery can take to refit is 3 moves provided it has rolled a 1 on its d3 dice.

I hope this clarifies the issue for some gamers who were trying to pull out of line, refit and move back all in one move because that is what they had rolled on their d3 dice.

Cheers
Dave
John Michael
Corporal
Corporal

Post by John Michael » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:51 pm

I believe this interpretation contradicts a previous post on the same topic.

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/fightin ... php?t=2105

I wonder if we could get a clarification from Barry.

Thanks,

John
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:25 am

It was Barry that asked me to post this clarification.

Cheers
Dave
John Michael
Corporal
Corporal

Post by John Michael » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

John
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:30 pm

That's OK John, I didn't think what I wrote was contradicting your previous enquiry as you were asking about paying MP's for refitting and I was posting about how long it takes to refit.

Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks Dave for clarifying. As one of those who did roll a one for refit on Saturday I seem to recall that I fired for turns 2,3,4 & 5 then retired turn 6 where I rolled a one for refit. I moved back into position turn 7 and commenced firing again turn 8. So if I'm reading you correctly I fired one turn too early.

So after firing for 4 turns you will have to spend 1 turn moving back, 1, 2 or 3 turns retrofitting and 1 turn returing to position before being allowed to fire again. So a minimum of 3 turns, maximum of 5 turns between firing.

I must say I like the artillery rules. Having relatively reduced effectiveness makes it more of an infantry and cavalry battle than a long distance shooting match. Tactically I guess you could go for two batteries, one behind each other to keep up a constant barrage on a town or defended obstacle with the front battery being replaced by the rear battery when it is time for refit. Otherwise you need to plan on how to use what at best are 4 shots over 7-9 turns, with the first of thsoe shots being of limited effectiveness due to it being a new target.

I also like the idea of the dead space behind the guns for the artillery wagons, limbers etc. saves things from getting too cluttered on the table and give the artillery a space to move back into to refit.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:54 pm

It's because of you we clarified the rules Peter :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:59 pm

What I like most about the artillery rules is that it generally stops players blasting away at extreme range just because there happens to be a target. Gamers now think more carefully of how they use their firepower and although they only fire for four rounds it can still be devastating as Bob's Dutch Guard found out on Saturday and those were only Russian 6pdrs firing but those 6 gun batteries are so s.e.x.y! (putting dots between the letters was the only way I could post this word)

Cheers
Dave