Still trying to figure out the size of my battle

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Still trying to figure out the size of my battle

Post by Gunfreak » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 pm

So I got out all my my prussin, french and british units, about 350 figures, and it's not really the much in the table, it's basicly one flank of my 7 feet long table, If I attack with the french, I have 7 battalions, and thats about two brigades, or an understregth division, it's not nearly enough to cover my table and still have reserves, sure if I put every single battalion in line, with no reserve it covers about 2 thirds of my table, but really a brigade should always be two lines, to battalions in front and two behind to suport, suddnely my 7 battalions only cover 1/5 of my table, even with 2 cav regiments of the flank, the french could easly be turned. I think if I get the full 10 french battalions, thats two 5 battalion brigades, which did happen, even if 4 battalions were more commen. Then if I add a heavy cav brigade, I might have the table coverd, mabye add another battery. That would give 10 battalions, 4 cav regiments, and two batteries.

So basicly 10 battalions pr. side(10 french, 4 british, 6 prussian)
9 Cav regiments, 4 french, 1 prussian, and 4 british)
3 batteries, 2 french 1 british.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Still trying to figure out the size of my battle

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 pm

Gunfreak,

Does your french have grenadier and voltigeur stands?
If yes, pull them out and form converged units of voltigeurs and grenadiers.
If that was 7 line units it should give you at least 2 to 4 more units to play with, the voltigeurs as skirmishers, the grenadiers to act as your reserve.

Just a suggestion

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.