Doing a small battle with RtE

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Doing a small battle with RtE

Post by Gunfreak » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Now I have two small forces, one of british and one of french, when I started them I was planing on using RtE, but I wanted the forces to be finished before I did a battle, but it will be a long time before that.

So my question is can I get good game even if the size of the battle is well uner a normal division vs division.

The forces are 3 infantry brigades of 2-3 battalions each, the french got 3 2 battalion brigades while the british got 2 two battalion brigades and 1 3 battalion brigade. Each side got one battery of artillery and one brigade of light/dragoon cavalry.

Or should I drop the 3 brigades of french and go for a two brigade division of 3 battalions each?
John Michael
Corporal
Corporal

Post by John Michael » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Gunfreak,

Why do you not try Clarence's starter scenario, which is 4 battalions of vs 2 battalions. Just change out the Spanish for British. You have enough troops, and it would be a nice way for you to get your feet in.

Here is the link:

http://quindiastudios.blogspot.com/2010 ... mpire.html

John
Last edited by John Michael on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Good suggestion John Michael. There is also a small scenario with additional suggestions on slight mods in one of the recent WI's - It is called Crossing the Sambre. Although I am not permitted to upload the article as pdf'd from the mag I can supply the original typed manuscript for anyone who wants in and doesn't have WI.

Let me know if that is a go-er and I'll upload it to the WARCHEST..

Cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:00 am

Gunfreak,

We used a lot of two battalion brigades at Historicon in order to get as many players into the game as possible. Small brigades work perfectly fine in small games!

Let us know how it goes...
Sharpshooter

Post by Sharpshooter » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:28 pm

Barry - Yes please post your manuscript for Crossing the Sambre. I am also just starting Napoleonics and have only a few battalions painted and do not get WI mag.
Curt D.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:19 pm

OK! I did even better than that! I uploaded THREE scenarios..

1. 1806 Battle of Lubeck: Prussians v French
2. Crossing the Sambre 1815: Prussians v French
3. Genappe 1815: British versus French

All published in Wargames Illustrated over the last year.

8)

Henry Ford
Sharpshooter

Post by Sharpshooter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Barry- link for Battle of Lubeck leads to map not scenario. No links showing for Genappe. Also don't see a link for Sambre map?
Curt D.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:02 pm

Curt we both made errors :oops: I double loaded the map (article now substituted) however you failed to notice the Page tab at the top of the section which takes you to the second page where lies the rest of the treasure :wink:

Henry Ford
Sharpshooter

Post by Sharpshooter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Barry - Thanks for correcting your error and pointing out mine. I think I'll have another look at the entire Warchest and explore the pages beyond page one!
Curt D.