Ok, crazy idea

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Ok, crazy idea

Post by Gunfreak » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:15 pm

I'm painting up some 6mm adler for grand armee, and I paint like 25-40 figures at a time, they look good, I probebly do my best work on adler 6mm,

So while my main RtE project is in the lordly 28mm, It would be fun to do it in 6mm,

So picture this, for my 28mm thing I can get mabye 600 figures and it's prety crouded, that means I'm stuck with a small division each side, with a small cav force and mabye two batteries.

But what if I also do it in 6mm, normaly when I'm doing 6mm I up each unit to like 50-120, but what if I keep the propper 1:20, so my 24 strong units, would be 6cm on 3 20x20mm bases, a 32 figure unit would be 8cm,

So I can crank out a division prety quick and it takes like no room, I can do a corps after a while, I'll never be able to do a corps in 28mm or even in 15mm.

So what would your recomeded movment and fire ranges ect. I was thinking of just halfing them, it means they can move quite a distance and means the game won't be slowed down that much.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Not such a crazy idea because.....

1. If you use a roster sheet to manage the unit sizes and firing groups you don't need to take casualties off therefore your 6mm units can stay intact and representational.

2. Halfing distances and ranges is not too inaccurate. Quartering might be better but the movement could stay at half as I was actually very conservative with movement - Exploitation was the concept that restored the balance in terms of physical distance which could be coverd in 20 minutes.

3. LoS would be exactly right! as the figures are perfectly in harmony with the groundscale! Voila!

Let us know if your madcap scheme moves to phase 2 Gunfreak :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm allready making my first unit, a 18 figure unit of french Chassurs a cheval, the cool thing is that a 18 figure unit takes exactly as much room as a 12 figure 15mm unit,

I'm thiking of doing starting a prussian Brigade(division)