Emergency unlimbering for artillery and emergency squares

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
volleyfirewargames

Emergency unlimbering for artillery and emergency squares

Post by volleyfirewargames » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:42 am

From the Lubeck 1806 scenario (The Prussians caught a French Foot Battery at point C on the map on the third turn after they came on the table in turn 2) if its the Prussian movement phase and his Hussar squadron charges a limbered french foot artillery battery from 18 inches away, does the battery get to respond? Also Does R2E allow for Emergency squares?

Granted I am using In the Grand Manner rules for the scenario ( I have not gotten my copies of R2E yet)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm

The limbered French battery should have had a charge threat reaction test as soon as the hussars come within charge reach, if they pass their test then they have a few options depending on their orders that they can make. If they fail the charge threat test then they can only respond once they have taken and passed a morale check plus the hussars get to charge 3d6 of movement before the gunners can attempt to do something.

There is a chance to perform emergency squares when being charged but you have to pass a dice roll to perform the movement and this is dependent on troop quality and more importantly the charging unit has to be more than half its charge distance away.

Hope this helps?
Dave
volleyfirewargames

Post by volleyfirewargames » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:52 am

Dave - thanks that helps greatly - definitely points to some interesting ideas in R2E - I look forward to getting my set of the rules soon.

Best regards
David C.