RtE and Basing

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Anonymous

RtE and Basing

Post by Anonymous » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 am

Dear Barry,

1.) I have a question about how you are represent your french units for RtE:
Does the small stand with the colourbearer and the 2 porte fanions count to the total of the batallion or are they more or less for identification alone?

2.) A Thought: Is there any problem with placing a unit of 40 figures on 5 bases?

As I am still trying to find a suitable solution to use Regimental Artillery :wink: the following sprang to my mind:

Using 5 bases gives 4 for fighting and 1 to support the small battery. 5 bases because if they had their grenadiers with them they would have been 6 bases, but the Grenadiers are converged to a Grenadier-Battallion.

What do you think?

All comments are welcome

Günter
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:34 am

Günter,

RtE is very forgiving in that you can practically use any basing system within reason as the determinant for fire and combat is the "combat group" of four models so, even if you have eight figures to a base, when it comes to the crunch you divide your model total by four to arrive at combat effectiveness.

I've seen battalions based in fours, sixes and eights and it makes no difference to the rules. Also, using a roster sheet means that your battalion of say 40 models can represent anything from 36 to 44 model figures.

I hope this helps,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:51 pm

Jim is right Gunter.

The half hex base at the front is to allow a unit to be changed without having to paint an entire new unit. Useful for armies with many standrad uniform details. It does not count toward the toal combat groups number but of course as MrO'Neil has pointed out the Roster sheet takes care fo that problem!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Jim and Barry,

Thanks! To both of you.

Good that I have mentioned this before I had ordered the smaller bases from LITKO :wink:

Cheers

Günter

P.S.: Still no sign of the ordered RtE's
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Gunter....

keep me posted on the delivery front.. definitely was posted with insurance when we mentioned before.

I have stopped ordering from Litko.. too expensive and heavy Customs charges from the States. I have switched to WARBASES.. the guy is in Scotland.. will cut any base size you want.. delivery quick and cost less than 50% of Litko.. try him 8)

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:48 pm

Barry,

Thank You for this, I will try his service :wink:

Cheers

Günter
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Dear Barry,

All RtE's and supplemts have arrived savely :P

Only once more back to the bases: What's the thickness of the MDF you are using? 3mm or less?

Thanks again for your "shoes" :wink:

Best regards

Günter
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:29 pm

:lol:
Gunter.. I wondered what on earth you were talking about.. until I asked Gwen which box she sent to you!!!! I hope the boots were clean!

I am using 3mm MDF/Ply. This is pretty warp-proof even if you are using water based materials for ground work on top.

The WARBASES guy is good, cheap and fast.. an excellent combination for impatient Saxons! 8)

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Günter,

Be careful there as the Warbase standard size is 2mm thick so you have to email him and specifically ask for 3mm. Plus the guy will make any size you want. For example he did some 70mm x 50mm x 3mm for part of my artillery layout.

Regards.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Jim,

Thanks for telling me... 8) I'll take care in this matter.

Best Regards

Günter
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:30 am

Barry, Jim

Thanks for the tip of WARBASES. It saved me almost 50% the money :shock: I would have paid to LITKO for the same amount.

Thanks again to you

Günter
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:48 am

Business with Martin from WARBASES did work out fine. It was fast and much cheaper than dealings with LITKO.

Barry,

Would you mind to tell me the Hex size you have used for your skirmishers?
As I have a "special" Light Infantryman he seems to need a lot of space :wink: a 5 cm Hex, edge to edge. I wonder if that is not to large :shock:

Best Wishes

Günter