R2E 1 DAY GAME 15th May 2011 @ MUTINEER MINIS, WHITBURN

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Mon May 16, 2011 10:25 pm

toggy wrote:Barry wrote:

might be able to squeeze such a game into a 1 dayer at Whitburn sometime before August.

Count me in for that please

Bob
And me!!

Cheers

Gerry
billwargames
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by billwargames » Tue May 17, 2011 9:36 am

Me too..........

Bill...........
biomed
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue May 17, 2011 11:24 am

I'm in, but only if I can get some @#%$&*! Manoeuvre Points from Toggy.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Tue May 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Nominate yourself for cinc then Jim.

And exploit with your stuff every phase :)

I too would be interested in another 1 day, but all very much date dependent though.

Bill.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Tue May 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Nominate yourself for cinc then Jim.

And exploit with your stuff every phase :)

I too would be interested in another 1 day, but all very much date dependent though.

Bill.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue May 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Hopefully Billy (death and glory) Woods will be able to make it as I'm keen to see how many cavalry brigades he can destroy in the next game, he might even to destroy the enemy ones the next time! :shock:
Perhaps Wilhelm Wald will also have recovered from his multiple wounds and lead more charges.
Cheers
Dave
Churchill
General
General

Gorodeczna

Post by Churchill » Tue May 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue May 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Ray, the map you found is correct and the Austro-Saxons did know what their objectives were but what is not clear to people who don't know the battle is that all the Austrian reinforcements are actually marching along a road through the woods off table behind their main deployment position and their commander is actually also off table across a river which is on the Austro-Saxon left flank. The Saxons and Austrians are not really under a unified command although Schwarzenberg was nominally in charge so the Saxons really have no idea where the Austrians will appear or what their plans are. What is also not clear from the pics is that there are thousands of Cossacks lurking about to disrupt the German plans, even the Russian players didn't know what the Cossacks, played by Barry and myself were up to and it was hilarious to see the look on their faces when their whole left flank of Cossacks marched off table to go and do something else leaving their now outnumbered cavalry to face the Saxons on their own.

The battle has started as the Saxons had formed up and just come out of the woods whilst the Russians had also advanced from their main position which is defending the river line off table on and behind their right flank. Jim's force was the advance guard which has blundered into previously unseen marshes and been threatened by a unit of Russian dragoons which are in the open on one of his pics and the other two units of dragoons are lurking in the woods to his front. The marshes were diced for randomly after the troops had been set up so Jim was fortunate that if I had diced slightly differently his troops could have ended up in the swamp and Alan's artillery battery also nearly ended up in a swamp as well but it ended up as a good protection for them.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Ray, as Dave says, Jim's troops were 'advanced' by the umpires just before Turn 1 started. It did raise a few eyebrows with the Saxons but not as many gasps as leaked from the smug Russians who were laughing at Jim's discomfort until their own Dragoons were put out in front of their lines!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue May 17, 2011 6:05 pm

To all of brave Soldiers of that day! :wink:

If someone is intersted in the real battle and the battlefield at the link below

http://www.antiquesatoz.com/habsburg/1812/gorodets.htm

Here Ray may find some answers to his questions.

Jim,
Your CinC worked very historical. The hesitation to give you MP's may have been part of the plan to avoid a major conflict between Austrians and Russians. So who know's :shock:

I herewith nominate you for the Militär-St. Heinrichs Orden, the highest honor Saxony can give.

How its look like..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SHMOr ... _Cross.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures

Cheers

Günter
(Saxon Expert) :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue May 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Günter

I shall wear the Militär-St. Heinrichs Orden with pride.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Tue May 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Unfortunately Gunter it wasn't a desire for historical accuracy that stopped me giving Jim those precious MPs, but just really awful dice rolling.

Bob
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue May 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Bob,

Despite the comments that I made tongue-in-cheek, I thought you did a sterling job considering the pitiful amount of MPs you had to work with.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Any players reading Gunters 'link' will be struck by the similarity in the unfolding of events.. particularly the Russian left and the cavalry combat!

Gunter.. I hope you pay special attention to the fact that Dave and I BOTH PAINTED SAXONS for this battle!!!!!! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue May 17, 2011 7:57 pm

barr7430 wrote: Gunter.. I hope you pay special attention to the fact that Dave and I BOTH PAINTED SAXONS for this battle!!!!!! :wink:
Barry and Dave,

No, I didnt know :shock:

I thought you two "converted" some other nations to the cause.

Does one of you take commissions ? :wink: In late August 2011 I will have some Saxon Light cavalry and Horse Artillery to paint.:)

Waiting for Pics of "your" Saxons.

Cheers

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.