War of the french revolution

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

War of the french revolution

Post by Gunfreak » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:49 pm

So those damn Eureaka FR figures are calling to me, but they are so damn expencive, a 24 strong unit cost $65AU, I was thinking of just a tiny tiny battle mabye 6 battalions pr side and one or two units of cavalry, and a small battery, since the North Italy theater had little artillery I think I can get away with a half battery of two guns.

But even at this side the price would be about 6000 NOK or £600.

Thats alot.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:03 am

Until you posted this I had expected to pickup some Eureka just because they put out somethings that Elite hasn't yet. But at those prices there is NO WAY IN HECK I will buy anything from them. In U.S. pricing they are asking $2.50 for an Austrian trooper and $2.50 for the horse if I want cav and the infantry is priced around $2.30 per figure. That might be more than Floundry wants per figure or pretty darn close.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:42 am

They sell deal packs (in the US): 74 infantry and 2 mounted officers for $150 which works out to roughly $2 each. Bob also has club (again in the US) that provides further discounts...

I am planning a small project like the one you suggested - the only thing putting me off so far is time to actually paint the little buggers...
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Even if I buy the package of 24 for $65 thats still £1.69 or 69% more expencive then Calpe
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:34 pm

Oh dear... well I hesitate to post this as I don't want to sound like some whining hard luck story, but equally I don't want anyone to mistakenly reinforce the impression that Eureka are some sort of uber expensive rip off merchants by deliberate design.

Yes - from the UK and USA perspective we realise that our figures have now become prohibitively expensive, but it should be stressed that nothing has changed here at Eureka.

We have not had a price rise in almost five years.

Just two years ago our figures retailed for about the same converted price as a Perry Miniature and we were markedly cheaper than a Foundry.

The current situation is entirely down to the major shift in the international currency exchange rates - driven by the GFC and (not to put too fine a point on it) the criminal incompetence of USA and European financial institutions. While your economies have gone down the toilet, ours in Australia has remained ‘regrettably’ stable and strong and the currency exchange rates have shifted dramatically, reflecting this.

People are, of course, perfectly within their rights to complain publicly about the cost of our figures when ordering from overseas (free speech and all that), but all we ask is that you keep in mind why things are the way they are.

So now that you have to pay a king's ransom for your Eureka figures, what can we do about it? Well, I'm afraid it's not just a simple matter of cutting our prices. Margins are not high in this business as it is and our wages, rent, and metal costs in Aus are still the same as they ever were (...actually the last two have increased steadily over the last few years and we've absorbed them). All I can say to our USA customers is to urge you to talk to Rob at EurekaUSA. He's a great bloke and I know he will do his best to look after you on price if you order regularly and in reasonable quantities. Meanwhile, for those ordering directly from us we do have some discounted unit deals (usually to be found at the end of each listing on the website - which, as I type this, it rather occurs to me that they may go unnoticed there, so I will look into making them more prominent ...) and we also have a customer discount scheme. For every au$75.00 (before postage) you spend you get a coloured discount card included in your order. Collect four of these and your next order gets 20% off. Alternatively - all single orders we receive of au$300.00 or more (before postage) get an instant 20% discount. Yes, it's still a lot of money for you to spend to qualify, but we are trying to ease the pain where we can. Hopefully the world’s troubled economies in Europe and the USA can gain some traction over the next couple of years and we can get back to something like ‘normal’. In the meantime, we are left treading water.

OK - I’ve taken up more than enough space on Barry’s forum with this sob story and pushing our discount schemes, but I just wanted to clear the air a little. Eureka is attracting a sprinkling of adverse comment around the web regarding costs at the moment and I don’t deny it hurts Nic and I when we read it, but we really have very little room for manoeuvre. In the end, if people want us to continue expanding our French Revolutionary Wars project and retain the high quality of sculpting (sadly Alan Marsh doesn’t work for free) this is how it’s going to be for a while.

Yours sincerely
John Chadderton
Eureka Miniatures
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:54 pm

John,

I hesitated to post up to this point but I think your comments are 100% on the money. As someone whose business is totally international and who is dealing with currency exchange fluctuations on a daily basis I can concur with all of your points. You haven't changed the world around you has!
Yup greedy bastards in the UK & US banking industries took us to the brink of oblivion and our Governments were too weak, too stupid or too complicit to stop the snowball until it crushed a few million of us.

You've got to run a business. I can see that large operations are hurting too right now. I have had two 30% last chance emails from Foundry in the last 4 days!...

Everyone is feeling the pinch and gamers are hurting because their 'disposable' is going less far but.. it's not Eureka's fault. I know from experience the generosity of spirit of Rob and Nic (and of course yourself :D ).

If we have favourite manufacturers.. we need to support them otherwise we'll have no manufacturers.

Say as much as you like John, the members of this Forum are a lovely bunch.. they can take it! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:18 am

John,

I fully understand your point and appologize if I've caused you any harm. However, my point is still valid from my perspective - if the cost is way too high then the cost is way too high. I love your figures and I applaud you for what you are doing within the hobby but until the prices change I can only stand by my initial statements that I will not purchase any Eureka figures. I wish it were otherwise, trust me, as I believe in supporting those in the hobby who are really trying to provide a good product.

One thing that would help on the US site is the mention of any discounts or club offerings. I went to the site after Clarence posted and I could not find any mention of that so some type of posting on the site would be great. Also most of the news updates on the page I went to look to be months if not years old so it doesn't give me a good deal of confidence on the information I might read there.

I do look forward to when I can purchase Eureka figures. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:55 am

18th Century Guy.

No apology necessary. We took no personal offence and my comments above were not aimed specifically at your post or gunfreak’s, but as this thread was titled “War of the French Revolution” and launched into a general complaint about our figure costs, but with no apparent nod to the circumstances, I felt obliged to offer our side of the story.

I suggest you contact Rob at EurekaUSA directly robwalter556@yahoo.com and ask about signing up to his Revolutionary Wars ‘Club’. You go onto his mailing list and get special offers on all the new releases etc. There’s no obligation or minimum to buy as far as I’m aware, but please check the details with him as we give Rob a free hand running his side of the business so he’ll give you the full picture. Alternatively, on the off chance that you are going to Cold Wars – go and have a chat with him.

In the meantime – here’s to a future improvement in the US Dollar and UK Pound!

Best wishes
John Chadderton
Eureka Miniatures
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:27 am

Hell, I still buy GW models - nothing from the realm of historicals seems expensive to me...
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:04 pm

That's a big time ouch in the pocket book Clarence!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Virginians always were 'Flash'! :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:34 pm

And when are you going to get those Eureka mounted cossacks painted up?
We could do with them for the next game.
Cheers
Dave
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: War of the french revolution

Post by conflans » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:50 am

The Eureka French Revolution prices will burn but the quality of what you get is a nice salve for it. Many manufacturers are going through the same pinch. I've just resigned myself to living with smaller, higher quality armies composed of the best figures for their periods. This is just my two cents (which is about all I have left after feeding the lead addiction).