The BRITISH INFANTRY are under estimated

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
davidsharpe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

The BRITISH INFANTRY are under estimated

Post by davidsharpe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:21 am

Hello Barry

I m surprised, a british napoleonic miniatures rule, under estimating British infantry !

And, apparently, no british gamer reacts !

A mystery.

D
wkeyser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by wkeyser » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:47 am

Hi David
I realize that English is not your first language but please try to give more information, what do you mean, not enough figures in a battlion, fire power to low, no drukenness?

I am think you might mean the combat effectivness of the English Infantry, which I dont think is done here. But would love to hear what you mean.

William
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The BRITISH INFANTRY are under estimated

Post by obriendavid » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:15 pm

davidsharpe wrote: I m surprised, a british napoleonic miniatures rule, under estimating British infantry !
D
I'm not sure what your point is? British infantry get bonus' for shooting and their morale is no different to everyone else. In our latest Waterloo game the British troops gave a good historical account of themselves against the attacks by the French Guard.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:37 pm

Of course I am British but not a blindly patriotic and xenophobic Brit!
My belief is that the British were good at certain things but not supermen and our armies have always been of a modest size. The contradictions are there for all to see:
Excellently disciplined infantry and difficult to control and tactically naive cavalry. The men are the same, from the same country and their officers are from the same backgrounds. We were good at some stuff and bad at other stuff!
It is easy to be over indulgent towards 'pet' troops and I think too many rule sets over the years have treated the British as ubermensch and pandered to the fantasy ideals of armchair generals who wish to imagine that every victory gained against foreigners was won by the solid yeomanry of Britain and every defeat we were involved with was the fault of some unreliable foreign ally contingent. The list of Usual Suspects is long, tedious, normally ill informed and predictable.
British soldiers got beat and ran away too!
We have a friend who just cannot accept the fact that Napoleon's Imperial Guard can lose at any time against any opponent in any battle.. why? because he loves the ideal of the IG!

I hope I have been even handed in my treatment of my countrymen!
Good disciplined infantry. well trained to shoot
Ill disciplined and rash cavalry difficult to control

Death threats to the usual address please :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
wkeyser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by wkeyser » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Barry really, I am suprised as every one knows the Old Guard was never defeated, they just had a retire result!

William the Francophile
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:58 pm

William, you don't operate under the no de plume Dale D. Smith do you? :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
wkeyser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by wkeyser » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Nope always under my own name 8)
William
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:44 pm

barr7430 wrote:....

Good disciplined infantry. well trained to shoot
Ill disciplined and rash cavalry difficult to control

Death threats to the usual address please :wink:
Barry,

that sounds vice versa to what I know of my Saxons :lol:
Well trained and disciplined Cavalry, close to the Best in Europe
Trained, disciplined Infantry but difficult to handle when shot in the back :wink:

In case of the Infantry I have to say that the poor fellows have had TWO Trainingmanuals, one for Exercising, one for use in the field :shock: No wonder they had their noses more in the books than hitting the field of battle.

Günter
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Gunter, I feel you are being rather harsh on the Saxons, from what little I have read about them they seemed to perform rather well in the field especially in the 1812 campaign.
Cheers
Dave
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:35 pm

obriendavid wrote:Gunter, I feel you are being rather harsh on the Saxons, from what little I have read about them they seemed to perform rather well in the field especially in the 1812 campaign.
Cheers
Dave
Dave,

You are right I am to harsh on them because thats the way most peolpe look at them :cry:

It is my opinion that because they had well performed at Jena, shown strenght in difficult situations at Wagram and in Russia, performed very well against the Prussians in 1813, they are my most beloved fighting troops.

Best wishes

Günter
groslau
Private
Private

Post by groslau » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Of course I am British but not a blindly patriotic and xenophobic Brit!
My belief is that the British were good at certain things but not supermen and our armies have always been of a modest size. The contradictions are there for all to see:
Excellently disciplined infantry and difficult to control and tactically naive cavalry. The men are the same, from the same country and their officers are from the same backgrounds. We were good at some stuff and bad at other stuff!
Monsieur HILTON, Thanks !

Thanks for your OBJECTIVITY and , i would add HUMILITY, 2 qualities many players should show more when playing or posting ( or both ) :twisted:

GrosLau
N'oubliez jamais que le sang de l'ennemi est aussi le sang des hommes, la vraie gloire est de l'épargner.
Do not forget that the blood of the enemy is also the blood of mankind, true glory is to spare it.
Louis XV after the battle of Fontenoy.
davidsharpe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Reply to Obrien David

Post by davidsharpe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Hello Obrien David

Waterloo is unusual for british infantry,which, because of cavalry threat,
was never in line but in double line (so with half firepower) or in square, or in column of companies to change easily of formation.

In Spain, British infantry was in line, most of the time.
A 500 men batallion should be represented by a 6 blocks of 6 figures each 3 front 2 deep, 36 instead of 24, but 24 on the paper.
Because on two ranks not on three.
Volley fire would give it 10 to 12 D6 !

If you consider that British waited the last moment to deliver a murderous volley in defense (a +1 or a +2 modifier, in stand and fire test, to obtain Point blank fire most of the time) and you get an account of british fire discipline.

If we would like to go more deepy in historicity, we should add some stopping power in negative morale modifiers for the french infantry charging bcause of the impact of the british timely delivered volley.

But, who should accept charging British in defense, then ?

Friendly yours.

D
"British infantry ? In Duel, it s the Devil !"
Général Foy to Napoléon in the morning of june the 18th, 1815.