Poll on The Miniatures Page

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Poll on The Miniatures Page

Post by custosarmorum » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:55 pm

I just thought I would let forum members know that there is a poll on The Miniatures Page that asks TMPers to rate RtE on a scale of 1-10. Although I have only recently started playing RtE, I really like it and so gave it a 10. I would encourage those who are so inclined to cast their vote (hopefully lots of other 10s!)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks for that!

The purpose of these polls... one only..

to drive traffic through his TMP Forum.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:14 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by custosarmorum » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, Barry and Ray. I know that the polls are a marketing tool for TMP. Having said that, a lot of folks do read them and comment. So my hope would be that RtE gets a lot of high marks and good comments which will help spread the good word about the rules (at last glance more than 40% haven't heard of it so they don't know they are missing out!).

I have been out Napoleonics for nearly twenty years and more like thirty five using 20/25mm figures. I started in the earlier 70s using a set of rules called Column, Line, and Square (don't know if they were much seen in the UK) and played with mostly Airfix, including conversions from a wonderful series in Airfix Magazine, later supplemented with Der Kriegspielers, and a few Hinton Hunt, Jack Scruby, and Rose/Gammage units -- later added a few Minifigs as well. Later I moved to 15s but could never find a set of rules I really liked, including several computer moderated sets.

Anyway, now that I have found RtE, as a zealous convert, I would love to see the rules widely used so I have really been talking up the rules whenever I get the opportunity -- and this seemed like a good one :)
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:46 am

They haven't heard of them? :shock:

In God's name, where have they been living? Cloud cuckoo land? Or only in the place where second rate hardback covered rules sets exist? (yes I am biased, but I don't care, anyone with even half a brain can see the advantage of using this set over others).
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:38 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:35 am

Gents,

I am flattered by your generous comments :oops:
By all means please spread the word. I took a look at the Poll and then wandered through the Board.

The amazing thing to me was the kind of topics people were voting about and more amazingly the amount of people who voted that they had no opinion on WHATEVER... why vote :shock: ?

That particular forum is a source of endless wonderment to me...........

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:20 am

Where about on TMP is the poll?
I've had a look through the Napoleonic forum but couldn't find it.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 pm

Ignore my previous rantings, I didn't realise there was a whole section just related to Polls.
http://theminiaturespage.com/polls/
Cheers
Dave
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by custosarmorum » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:18 am

My ultimate reason for taking part in the poll and noting it here is the hope that RtE will become more popular is the US where I live. Currently my gaming circle for the rules is just one other person (although we are both very happy with them) and we would love to see more gamers here use RtE for their Napoleonic gaming. The number of responses on the forum to the question of American clubs playing RtE (zero) shows that the following here is small (even if devoted).

I would like to see RtE as popular here as in Scotland :wink:!
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:56 am

Never heard of it? Really? Why are you browsing the freakin' thread?
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:45 am

The more I thought about this, the more it irked me... not the poll, but the way the editor chose to start it. I sent Mr. Armintrout a note...

Hi, Bill.

My name is Clarence Harrison and I am one half of the team that created Republic to Empire and I'd like to know why you chose this quote for the one liner in your poll...

...the gaming experience is simply awful.

I'm writing to let you know I don't appreciate this. The game has been reviewed in Wargames Illustrated, Battlegames, and Soldiers & Strategy as well - all with positive results.

Charles Grant wrote this about Republic to Empire...

“The superb presentation and wonderful pictures might lead the casual observer to believe that Republic to Empire is the equivalent of a coffee table book - a visual spectacle to be admired. And so they should be but there is far more than that! The rules are very well researched, clearly explained and most importantly eminently payable. They are admirably suited to big battles but also to smaller games. Barry has introduced mechanisms designed to reduce the all seeing and instantly reactive abilities of the wargamer while rewarding initiative and forward thinking. This development really does help to reflect the realities of the tactical battlefield of the time. Suffice to say that this is not just another set of Napoleonic rules – it represents a real step forward in reflecting Napoleonic warfare on the wargame table.”

As a result of your poll I see so far that 140+ have voted they have 'never heard of it' (which seems strange to me since it has been the subject of numerous threads on TMP), so their introduction to the rules is your one line. The authors who rendered that quote tried one game on a 4x4' table.

This is the SECOND time you've started a thread with this quote...

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=208154

My partner and the author of the book placed his response there, though this was to the reviewers not to you. I'm not speaking for him now, but I am removing the link to your page from my site which has been there for ten years. Not a big deal for you since TMP draws far more traffic than I do, but from now on when I'm on some of the other forums I frequent and people ask' "Did you see the thread on TMP about..." my answer is "I don't go there any more."

I am now off to delete the link from my website.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:16 am

Wow Partner! :shock:

That is powerful stuff coming from you.. the most laid back man in Virginia. I thought I was supposed to be the SHOCK JOCK 8)

But really, well said that man! I will be really interested to see if you get a response from the Agent Provocateur par excellence.

I mean, I wandered through that Board and asked myself why the same idiots keep posting in repeated polls... no opinion. What the F*** are they doing all day reading polls about subjects that they have no opinion about. It actually beggars belief. That site is a T W A T magnet.
Incidentally, Clarence, you now understand that word as I taught it to you together with other nice Anglo Saxon nouns like:

Scroat.. :lol:

Did we do BawBag? :shock:

Let's see if we get Fatwa'd by the many headed on TMP... we'll survive I think.

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Clarence,

did you get a reply???

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:16 pm

No... posted the letter on my blog, though and got lots of good comments...

http://quindiastudios.blogspot.com/2011 ... e-tmp.html