Units armed with Rifles and Muskets

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Units armed with Rifles and Muskets

Post by BP » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Was wondering if anyone else had come across this while playing. My Cacadore units have 1 company of rifle armed troops, the Tiradores, and the rest just regular smoothbore muskets.

For the most part I was going to ignore the rifle company when the unit fired, treating the whole unit as musket armed. Then while looking through the light infantry rules I noticed that the option for a limited deployment of 1 combat group splitting into 2 skirmisher pairs was available for units of size 20(the size I am planning on my making most of my Cacadore units).

Would it be bad form to deploy the rifle armed company in this way, and then when the skirmisher pairs fired use the extended range of the rifles then? There are 2 pairs of rifle armed Tiradores in the unit in case anyone was wondering :)

Any thoughts either way ?

Cheers

Bill
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Bill, I would have no problem with you using your rifle armed troops in this way, especially in a brigade or division sized battle which would add a little extra to the game but for larger battles I probably wouldn't bother.
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Bill, that is often EXACTLY how the rifle company in the Cacadore units was used... :D
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Thanks guys, wasnt sure how people would see it.

On a side note, how would the Portuguese units be rated in R2E? I'm guessing drilled for the majority, possibly veteran for some as they did see a lot of action.

Have the 1/32nd, 1/8th and 2/8th Portuguese line to go and that should be the 6th Division complete as at Salamanca.

4th Division and the 2 independant Portuguese brigades after that I think. Keep me busy for another 2 years :)

Bill
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:03 pm

BP wrote: On a side note, how would the Portuguese units be rated in R2E? I'm guessing drilled for the majority, possibly veteran for some as they did see a lot of action.
Bill
I would certainly rate the Portuguese that fought with the Light Division as Veteran and the rest should be classed as drilled, I would keep the Recruit rating for the very early battles before they gained some battle experience.
Cheers
Dave