Stripped down version of RtE

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Stripped down version of RtE

Post by Gunfreak » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm getting ready for the first test game with the rules, I normaly start with a basic version of the rules and then add more of it later.

What is the most basic part of the game, you feel I MUST have at the start, I'm thinking the MPs is a must, since thats like IT for the rule,

One thing I know I won't add at first is skirmishes, simply becausr I don't have any skrmish figues.

But what about the charge threat thing, it might be to easy to forget at first, suddnely I realise I should have done a charge threat test like 3 turns ago.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stripped down version of RtE

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Make sure you stick to the ORDERS system and the MPs. All the rest will come in time :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Gunfreak wrote: But what about the charge threat thing, it might be to easy to forget at first, suddnely I realise I should have done a charge threat test like 3 turns ago.
Charge threat reaction is important as you might find it's the only chance you might get to react to an enemy before they charge and then it's too late. It's quite a simple rule, just decide first of all if you are going to test for the whole brigade using their commanders rating or just test for the units under charge threat using their own rating.
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:41 am

Some things I do when trying to learn ANY set of rules (or playtest our own)...

1. Set up your terrain and draw a deployment map for one of your armies. Then march them onto the board in columns from a single point or two along the edge (roads if you have them modeled on the table) and use the Order and MP rules to get them into the position you drew on your map. You don't need any enemy force at all for this exercise.

2. Set up two infantry units 24" apart and go through a few rounds of combat without worrying about MPs - just alternate turns. Try a line vs line and a line vs column. This allows you to concentrate on these mechanics without resorting to maneuver, worrying about flanks or multi-unit melees. You will be able to sort out the basics of shooting, charging, and close combat relatively quickly.

3. Do the same thing as step two with a brigade of infantry on each side, this time allowing a static number of MPs for each side (maybe 4 to 6? - I don't have the book handy).

After doing these kinds of exercises, you should gain a good understanding of the mechanics and be ready to put it all together! Try some small games, maybe just infantry at first or add a single artillery battery per side. Leaving the cavalry out initially makes for an easier game. Leave out Built Up Areas at first as well. These rules can be explored in a similar fashion to the situations given above (i.e. set up a small farm or manor defended by a single entrenched unit and attack with a single brigade, again using a set number of MPs).

Hope this helps!