Nations special rules

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Nations special rules

Post by BP » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Actually thinking about it, if there were any additional modifiers due to 'charging French' say getting a +1, then French recruits, supported, in command and advancing in column of attack would launch a charge 5 times in 6. That is slightly too often if you ask me, and would also charge home with the same odds assuming casulties from the stand and fire(if any) didn't take them to 25% or above. A tad too much for recruits methinks :)

As it stands, the same unit at the moment will still charge 2 out of 3 times. Still good for recruits, but at least this is for any nations recruits.

Bill
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Still too many charges get into contact for my liking but Barry took the decision that wargamers like to fight hand to hand combats despite how rare they were historically. They do add a touch of fun to games.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 pm

... and they give us so much to talk about in the BAR! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Hobbyworker wrote:I think the russians could get a bonus in morale for there stubbornes.
So that would be the same “stubborn” Russians who ran away in their droves at Austerlitz and Friedland would it?

The Russians certainly had a reputation for endurance amongst contemporary observers but was it fully deserved? There was no sign of it at Austerlitz and precious little sign of it at Friedland (until it was too late). As far as the Napoleonic Wars are concerned the Russian stubborn tag is based primarily on their performance at Eylau and Borodino. The first, was a toe-to-toe slugfest in the snow were the unimaginative French (somewhat lacking in French elan that day) effectively allowed the Russians to be ‘stubborn’, and the second was on their home soil defending the very gates of their capital – a situation were I would suggest many nationalities might demonstrate great stubbornness, so perhaps not such a unique Russian trait after all?

I prefer rules writers not to pander to these sweeping statements or (in some cases) outright myths. The behaviour (or character if you prefer), of any army can vary radically from year to year, campaign to campaign, battle to battle - depending on a raft of complicated and intertwined circumstances. If players want to add their own temporary rule amendments to model an army’s behaviour in a specific campaign / action (by all means make your Russians more stubborn for Borodino if you want) then fair enough, but the official core rules should follow a more objective – and I would say more realistic – course.

Just my two cents worth.

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Duke of Plaza-Toro wrote: ...Just my two cents worth.
Hear, hear!

Your Grace,

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:24 pm

I think more evidence is not required but that never stopped me before :lol:

The fantastically disciplined British retreat from Corunna (or shambolic anarchy if you prefer). The restrained and fairplay British garden party after Badajoz...
The cowardly surrender monkey French behaviour at Bir Hachiem....

Well, I could go on... totally subscribe to the..

place
time
circumstances
leadership

argument.

NO NATIONAL CHARACTERISTICS AT ANY PRICE FOR ME
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
ELK101

Post by ELK101 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:46 pm

We sometimes use traits and flaws for units in our Napoleonic & ACW rules but they are generally not nation-specific and are either earned through actions in the game or in the case of our ACW campaign, purchased with experience. They need a bit of extra book keeping and sometimes you don't always remember to use them, but they can be fun. We have 'Galloping at Everything' which can be given to any cavalry force (not just the British) and means there is always a risk that your unit will go chasing after something you don't want it to. We do use 'Stubborn' too and in some cases Russian units may get it depending on the scenario, but again it's not nation specific.