French Revolutionary War

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

French Revolutionary War

Post by curassier » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:12 am

Am finally falling to the temptation of the Eureka Revolutionary wars range but I would like to game it with a rather reduced figure scale (that's probably an increased scale in the sense of fewer figures per unit). - I don't want all the units at 32 and 36 castings looking much like the later Napoleonic period.
Does anyone have any innovative ideas for representing French demi-brigades, skirmishers etc for the early Napoleonic period? I'm thinking 1796-1800.
Jonathan
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: French Revolutionary War

Post by janbruinen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:08 pm

When talking about the 1796/1800 period the demibrigades consisted of 3 equal battalions (after mid 1794 no centre battalion of an old regiment flanked by 2 ex-volunteer battalions anymore).
The battalion had no formal integral light company but probably informal they did. The grenadier company was often detached.

As it is the time of linear warfare, mostly the batalion would be in line, for advance/attack in column formation and the whole battallion could be in skirmish formation.

To portray the more loser formation and give a difference to Austrian/Russian/Brisish army maybe you could make the base bigger (more depth) and put the figures more dispersed on maybe more irregular bases, add "enthousiastic men and officers (waving hats, swords, muskets etc), paint them more campaign look (Eureka do them etc).
greetings
jan
www.ca-ira.blogspot.com
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Re: French Revolutionary War

Post by curassier » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Useful advice - many thanks.
Your blog looks interesting too.
JM
Jonathan