Guard as skirmishers

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Guard as skirmishers

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 pm

A recent topic on TMP (http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=256024 / see 4th post) got me thinking... should Guard infantry be allowed to depoly as skirmisher as per Light Infantry (up to full deployment)?

THX,

Burkhard
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Guard as skirmishers

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Cant see why not :?:
Most Nations Guard units included Light Infantry Units. Russian, French, British and the Minor States had skirmishable units so let them Skirmish if they want to :D
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:14 am

I think that 14th Brooklyn was talking about the whole battalion deploying as skirmishers in the same way as a dedicated light infantry formation other than that Guards units with light companies should be able to deploy a skirmish screen just like a line unit with a light company can.

:evil: Ginger
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:56 am

Ginger, Burkhard

as the guard (light) units are nothing else but normal (light) Infantry only with guard-class they should be able to and allowed to deploy single companies or even the full unit as skirmishers. Only because there are almost no sources for such behavior they should not be restricted by rules.
I know of questions like that since I playing wargames and they running sofar as to ask if GRENADIERS are to be allowed to skirmish.
Same goes for Guard Grenadiers..."can I deploy a company in skirmish of my Old Guard Grenadiers?" Thats pure nonsens as they weren't intended to do so...

Besides, thats a typical TMP-Discussion :!: For the writers the Old Guard only consists of Grenadiers :roll: :shock:
The Chasseurs are once more forgotten.

Thats my opinion so lets hear others :wink:

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Ginger got my intention there.

Does not really have anything to do with a suggestn on TMP... it is just the fact, that someone mentioned instances where and when Napoleons Guard deployed as skirmishers and it got me thinking.

Looking forward to the future suggestions!

Cheers,

Burkhard
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:44 pm

As an aside I do not consider The Miniatures page a serious wargaming forum & like its Lardie non de gure of PMT this is however.

Long ago I used to have about a brigade strength French army and form what I renumber from then I would say that Guard Chassurs would be able to do any thing that Line Chassurs could as they where both dedicated light infantry formations & should only differ in morale rating and combat experience, whatever the rules you are using.

I would consider them both capable of skirmishing the whole battalion, but would consider it unlikely to have been done all that often and I seem to recall it was common practice in all armies to retain a formed core even in light infantry formations. So the only difference between a light infantry battalion & a line battalion would be that the former could deploy a thicker, extended skirmish line & smaller former core than the latter which had only one light company per battalion.

Of course this would only make would depend on the manoeuvre unit the rules used if the Manoeuvre unit where battalion sized as I think it is in R2E it would make more difference than if you where using a brigade as a manoeuvre unit as LFS does for instance.

:evil: Ginger