Period Choice

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
General Lud

Period Choice

Post by General Lud » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:15 pm

I am new to the period and really like the look of the rules. My problem is what scale and which conflict to go for? I have 4 regiments of Front rank figures for the early 1700s period unpainted but i also have my eye on the Pendraken 10mm range. My table sizes is 6x4 so I am looking for a conflict that had a few smaller battles or possibilities of small bodies of troops contacting each other to use the 28mm figures. As for the 10mm figures I am planning to wait until the range from pendraken fills out a bit more. So what shall I paint the 28mm figures for while I wait?
Churchill
General
General

Re: Period Choice

Post by Churchill » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Lud

Post by General Lud » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:19 pm

My interest is in the Great Northern War but post 1709 and in Swedish Livonia but information is hard to come by. I was interested in building a Swedish ally first but again information on uniforms is hard to come buy. I am unsure what nationality the Front Rank figures are, I picked them up on ebay, but they do look French to me. All I know about the WSS are the great battles that took place. Any smaller matches on other fronts that i may have missed?
Your Blenheim project sound interesting and I admire the dedication I have trouble sticking to large projects, you must have a large table to game on.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:42 pm

You will probably find that most fronts had lots of small actions that rarely get mentioned, it's all the larger actions that take pride of place but even then you can look to wargame specific parts of a larger action.

Another choice you could make would be to go with skirmish actions using Clarence's Donnybrook rules which will hopefully be out soon. I've been fortunate enough to be involved in the playtesting of these rules and they are great fun and for a basic battle you only need 16-48 figures per side depending on the troop quality plus 5 characters. This would give you 4 units a side which is enough for some great fun or you could increase this to 6, 8 or as many units as you want once you've picked up the rules which doesn't take long.
Cheers
Dave
Perkunos

Post by Perkunos » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:27 am

I have an early Petrine army – earlier than the dates you mention. It consist of some Streltsi, almost Feudal Russian cavalry, Asian horse archers as well as the first regiments of modern infantry and cavalry – based on Russian sources whenever possible.
Like you I have a 6x4 table and use 28mm figures - the rules we use before testing BLB recommends using 1.5 movement distances fo 28mm which is what we do- the larger moves works well with larger based figures. For Testing BLB which I've just bought I currently have a brigade of 28mm Polish Heavy cavalry ( 4 regiments) a brigade of Polish Light Cavalry (3 regiments) and a brigade of infantry (3 regiments against 5 brigades of Turks - 12 cavalry regiments 4 regiments of Janissaries and 4 of Light infantry - all on my 6x4 table. Enough room for maneuver and a good game.
I have re fought Blenheim with every battalion present but this was using 6mm blocks - 6mm and 10mm offer you a different game and a different spectacle. Although I used to review 6mm and have commissioned figures and blocks I now use only 28mm
Like wise with skirmish warfare. Good fun but a completely different type of game.

Now that the Iron Curtain has come down it is possible to get Russian information that wasn't available previously.