We're open for business

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

We're open for business

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Welcome to the Play test forum...

I have sent the draft copy of BLB 2nd edition to the 7 groups and now await their comments.

I am going to leave the forum open to all FIGHTING TALK members who may wish to pitch in with comments..

A few sacred cows have been slain but I await the verdict of the jury and may have to resurrect them!

On with the show..... :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Shann1870
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

BLB 2nd Edition

Post by Shann1870 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi Barry
I had no interest whatsoever in this period until buying BLB. One read-through convinced me that these rules looked fun to play - I now have around 500 figures painted and lots more still to do. I suppose the point I am trying to make is that a great set of rules can really bring a period to life, which BLB has done for me. I think you are absolutely right to do a second edition; personally I would find more examples of the rules in action to be helpful - judging from the pages of this forum I am not alone. I wouldn't mind seeing slightly longer movement distances as well. That being said I am a complete novice with the rules and look forward to seeing what you finally come up with. Think BIG though - Cecil B deMille big if possible!!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:25 am

Steve,

these comments are very valuable so thanks. The approach adopted with R2E is closer to what I am thinking although the rules system for BLB is much simpler purely on the basis of:

Less sophisticated tactics
Less usage of artillery

Examples do help I agree. I was naive with BLB in thinking that because I understood what I meant, everyone else would! :wink:

Henry Ford
wbamick
Private
Private

Post by wbamick » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi Barry,

Greg Mc. and I have already set up our fist 2nd Ed. game for this Friday. I am not sure if we will have a chance to get in more than one game session before the first of the year due to family commitments for the holidays. However, he and I are searching for windows of opporunity to get in additional play tests during the holidays.

We will also be bringing our group into the play tests when possible. We are blessed (cursed? LOL) with a member that is smarter than any dozen of us put together so I am hoping he will be able to bring a fresh perspective when we get him to participate in early January.

Do you have a time frame for this first round of play tests to be completed by all of the groups?

All the best,

Bill
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:55 pm

Bill,

just whatever you can manage. Read through's are just as valuable as game feedback.
thanks

Henry Ford
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:20 pm

Barry,
I've posted a separate subject about the Melee and Morale systems.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:11 am

Read throughs are complete on our end, 1st play test this Sunday. Will post comments soon there after. I like what I have read thus far and want to see it on the table before we put our foot in our mouth. :) So more to come..
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:53 pm

Rather than send out an amendment version yet I'll let you chaps have your first bash and feedback..

good luck 8)

Henry Ford