Melee & Morale

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Melee & Morale

Post by Redmist1122 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:56 am

Barry,
A few of us did a walk through of melee & morale action w/foot vs. foot and cavalry vs. cavalry.
I must say, this is definitely a bloody affair!

MELEE:
- Close Combat process; #4, does the score to hit, "4,5, & 6" apply to both foot and cavalry? It refers to foot.

- Joining an existing close combat; like the max 2 limit!

- Close combat duration; is it a fight to the death that turn or does it carry over into the next turn. Had one cavalry unit pass morale twice in the same turn- played it out until he routed...finally.

- Determine who fights; Another plus for ease of calculating melee

-Close combat Modifiers table; Another plus, like the Blade and Bullet factor.

-Close combat results table; another plus - we like - very bloody!!! I know we're Americans! One chart for all results - great job.

MORALE:
-Testing for Morale; is a D6 used for all troops or just foot? We used it for all troop types.

- This area was a BIG headache in the original rules for us; i.e. different for foot and horse. Knowing you need a 4 or better in all cases is much easier - thank you!

-Cavalry Morale Test Table; We all like the brief clarification break-out and their results.

Next Tuesday we're going to run a regular BIG game and will give additional feedback. So far so good!!!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:27 am

Barry,
OK, read over the Close Combat opener again and answered my question - melee last only one turn.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:01 pm

MELEE:
- Close Combat process; #4, does the score to hit, "4,5, & 6" apply to both foot and cavalry? It refers to foot.
TO BOTH

- Joining an existing close combat; like the max 2 limit!
GOOD!.. I wanted flexibility and decision making but not thermonuclear war.. so it should appeal to the gambler!

- Close combat duration; is it a fight to the death that turn or does it carry over into the next turn. Had one cavalry unit pass morale twice in the same turn- played it out until he routed...finally.

- Determine who fights; Another plus for ease of calculating melee
GOOD

-Close combat Modifiers table; Another plus, like the Blade and Bullet factor.
GOOD
-Close combat results table; another plus - we like - very bloody!!! I know we're Americans! One chart for all results - great job.
GOOD

MORALE:
-Testing for Morale; is a D6 used for all troops or just foot? We used it for all troop types.

- This area was a BIG headache in the original rules for us; i.e. different for foot and horse. Knowing you need a 4 or better in all cases is much easier - thank you!
THAT WAS A BIG DECISION FOR ME BUT I KNOW IT WAS THE RIGHT ONE.. IT WORKS VERY WELL IN R2E

-Cavalry Morale Test Table; We all like the brief clarification break-out and their results.

GOOD
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford