COMPULSORY MOVES

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

COMPULSORY MOVES

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:38 pm

Steve thinks these should be at the beginning of the new turn (original positioning).
I moved them to the end of the existing turn..

Comments from the Playtest groups would be really welcome..
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:21 pm

I think adding a play sequence would be useful.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:09 am

:?:
There is a play sequence Dave :wink:

Henry Ford
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:09 am

Hi, My reasoning for this was that in one turn cavalry could move then reinforce a charge and then pursue. This would mean a move of 41-46"
Meanwhile the infantry move 4" and all other cavalry average 10"

By placing it in the next turn makes the moves more realistic.

It will also mean that you might aslo be able to declare charges on the pursuers instead of watching them ride by.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:41 am

I think the placement of the morale step needs to be considered with this. Something you don't want is a unit routing from combat and then 'suffering' a compulsory move before it gets the chance to rally so it effectively moves twice. Cavalry could be clear off the board!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:02 pm

Guys

I am slightly confused by this discussion :?

Take Steve's point : Previously the Compulsory step was the first step in the beginning of the new turn. I have tentatively moved it to the end of the turn. This repositioning is in consequential because it is ALWAYS the next step in the process. To achieve Steve's idea of being able to charge pursuers who may move out of reach, the CHARGE step would have to be before the Compulsory step.
Clarence, not quite sure I understand your point ..

Help pls

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:34 pm

Actually I'm not sure it matters - if it's the last thing in the turn or the first thing in the turn, the effect is the same.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:16 pm

Actually I'm not sure it matters - if it's the last thing in the turn or the first thing in the turn, the effect is the same.
That would depend on what happens in the turn sequence.

If you charge and then pursue in one turn then what can you do the next turn?
Do you rally from pursuit in the movement phase. Or do you rally from pursuit in the compulsory move phase.
And if the pursuit is in the next turn then you do not get the big extra movement as described above.

E.g. I charge, pursue turn 1, Rally turn 2, Charge turn 3.
Or you charge turn 1, pursue turn 2, rally turn 3, charge turn 4.

Barry all you have is the charage declaration step before the compulsory move step. And the compulsory move step has charges and countercharges in it.

So declare charge on pursuers. They test? pass or fail decide what they do. Then move both units into contact. This may mean that the routing troops escape the pursuit. Note I always think that pursuers should move slightly slower than routers as the routers suddenly break and but usually the people already in combat stay a bit longer holding up the pursuers. (you could give the routers an auto casualty for this)

If you have the pursuit at the end then the careful charge that you set up to hit the pursuers could end up with watching them ride past. (of course you could allow units to wheel in a charge which means they might catch them Actually we allow charging and counter charging units to wheel, at half speed of course. And they must move 3" in a straight line to count charging.)
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:23 am

Barry,
Our group here in Tucson like this sequence at the end of the turn. Can't recall all the reasons, but they were pretty pleased with the move...back to more Holiday chow!!!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA