More Melee & Morale Questions

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

More Melee & Morale Questions

Post by Redmist1122 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:56 pm

All,
Last night we had a small BLB game using the Play Test rules and charts. Each side had a brigade of foot and one of horse. Besides the artillery fire and one foot fire, it pretty much turned into a hose on horse game/action. Here's some feedback from our game last night:

- Rolling for morale. In the original rules an unmodified 6 was an automatic pass - not listed in the play test set

- Dismounted Dragoons. When rolling for morale, would they use the foot or hose tables? We used the horse when mounted, then moved to foot when dismounted.

- Melee. Joining the melee, from where do you measure a support unit to join in? From the principle unit or the other support unit already engaged?

- The Close Combat Modifiers for Horse vs Horse doesn't list "taking the charge at the halt". It's mentioned in the text for charging.

- Close Combat Modifiers for Horse vs Horse - what is meant by the modifiers for +6 blade horse on contact and the same with +4 bullet horse on contact? We first starting to add the modifier for both horse squadrons fighting, then we ran into the "taking the charge at the halt" and realize the squadron at the halt should not be getting the blade/bullet modifier - is that right?

- Melee. Had a horse vs horse melee resolved that left a support squadron 2 inches away from the enemy principle unit. He opted not the pursue - how would this play out concerning violating the minimum safety distance rule?

Definition of support. Support is used for a morale modifier and then used in the melee modifier. I believe this was covered in another thread.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Heres my answers to the questions as I understand the rules currently.

- Rolling for morale. In the original rules an unmodified 6 was an automatic pass - not listed in the play test set

New rules covering morale for both foot and horse. The auto rally 6 is gone in the new rules. Now you use the morale flow chart and a 4 or better they pass, anything less is varying degree of failure.

- Dismounted Dragoons. When rolling for morale, would they use the foot or hose tables? We used the horse when mounted, then moved to foot when dismounted.

I believe you were correct, use horse modifiers when mounted and foot when dismounted

- Melee. Joining the melee, from where do you measure a support unit to join in? From the principle unit or the other support unit already engaged?

Here I believe as long as the unit wishing to 'reinforce' the ongoing melee needs to be in charge range and pass its morale to charge

- The Close Combat Modifiers for Horse vs Horse doesn't list "taking the charge at the halt". It's mentioned in the text for charging.

This is a Barry question :)

- Close Combat Modifiers for Horse vs Horse - what is meant by the modifiers for +6 blade horse on contact and the same with +4 bullet horse on contact? We first starting to add the modifier for both horse squadrons fighting, then we ran into the "taking the charge at the halt" and realize the squadron at the halt should not be getting the blade/bullet modifier - is that right?

Blade horse are those that charge at speed using sword. Bullet are horse that move to contact fire off pistols then melee. A horse unit that does not charge should not get that modifier. Horse always have the option to counter charge regardless of their current orders, so not sure why they would choose to recieve at the halt.

- Melee. Had a horse vs horse melee resolved that left a support squadron 2 inches away from the enemy principle unit. He opted not the pursue - how would this play out concerning violating the minimum safety distance rule?

I would just adjust the horse an inch

Definition of support. Support is used for a morale modifier and then used in the melee modifier. I believe this was covered in another thread.

Yup we addressed this as well. Barry is considering changing support in melee to reinforce
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Flick40,

Thank you for the clarifications. We tried putting some common sense in these situations, wanted to bounce them off the group here.

The horse unit failed a morale test to counter charge, so by default he received the charge at the halt. As mentioned before, talked about in the rules, but no modifier in charts.

Here's the confusion for support; 6 inches in line able to charge. From what point do you measure that from; principle unit or say the first supported unit stacked up in the rear?
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:52 pm

Your next question may be, which horse are Blade and which are Bullet? In the rules Barry broke it down a little bit by nationality and years of who used what methodology.

I think one reason you dont see a modifier for receiving the charge at the halt is because there inst one. Cavalry caught sitting in their stirrups are at considerable disadvantage.

I dont have the rules handy to check the rule on range for reinforcing (support) a melee. I defer to anyone else who has input.

Seems our European friends are having a bit of a snow storm (damn global warming) going on messing up mail and possibly internet connections as well.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:28 pm

The range is a charge move to the point of the original contact of the melee.

This what we play to BLB 1 and Barry has now stated that it is what it will be in BLB 2.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:26 am

Almost everything bang on the money as far as explanations go guys... top marks for that! 8)

The 'on contact' + modifier is only applicable to charging units so stationary units do not receive any modifier - no momentum.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:02 am

Thanks Barry. We'll keep 'em coming...
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:43 am

Oh, one last thing from this post, I don't think we got a solid clarification about the minimum safety distance. If we're all happy with just adjusting an 1" so be it.
I was think on the lines if, you ended up under 3", then you don't have the option to halt a pursuit, but automatically hit.

Thoughts.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA