UPDATE ON PROGRESS 060110

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

UPDATE ON PROGRESS 060110

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:08 am

Thought I would let everyone know where we are up too. I have been busily incorporating ideas and further period refinements on the basis of feedback and suggestions.
Greg & his gang from Tuscon have provided several excellent ideas which I have incorporated to add further period flavour. These include:

1. Further development of the platoon firing/rank firing tactical doctrine effects. Crudely put, Platoon Firing Foot will be allowed the current bonus for stationary fire and a 1/2 move and fire option with no penalty. Rank firing units will take a shooting negative modifier for this latter option. This further opens the gap between the two fire doctrines and ties it to tactical decisions about moving or not. I think the mechanism produces the' advantage' without tedious reference to complicated distinctions in move allowances etc. I have rejected the wider arc of fire for Platoon firing as its advantge is probably already covered in the +1 fire modifier.

2. THREADING as a melee result for Horse - the DRAW result for Horse melee now means zero casualties per side, a swap of position for both protagonists and the recommencement of the close combat with all first round factors re applied. I think this is a fun way (ie second chance to make the big impact) with more than a passing reference to real life. Reinforcements can also be added at this stage making the whole thing much more like a game of poker!

3. Removal of the 'Defence against Horse' formation for non pike armed foot.

4. A possible further refinement of the BLADE - BULLET Horse tactical distinctions to encompass the Austrian tactics and the extreme nature of the Swedish Gallop.

5. Reinstatement of the mandatory ROUT after 1/2/3/4 consecutive defeats for RAW/DRILLED/ELITE/GUARD troops but without the pushbacks. This avoids congestion through interpenetration but give smaller Horse units a chance to break their opponents quickly before they disappear through combat attirition. THANK YOU JOE for your excellently illustrative and convincing worked example in your last mail :D

At the moment the main unresolved issues are:

Movement rate - I am monitoring the debate and will make a decision soon.
DEFEND order - and whether that needs further clarification (it seems to be annoying one or two of you!)

Several of Joe's recent suggestions in an email have also been incorporated (in fact the Da H may have been Joe's idea!) Sorry Joe!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Platoon Firing Foot will be allowed the current bonus for stationary fire and a 1/2 move and fire option with no penalty
WOW tried this, too SYW Prussian liberal. Just me thinking but wouldn't it be as hard to move and load using this tactice as not? There would always be some platoon in the line reloading. Wouldn't this eventually cause disorder, something that is the bane of linear tactics?

Curious to see what the changes are for Bullet/Horse to reflect Austrian doctrine.

Movement, I'm good with 4" for foot and if you need to go faster get your units in column. Charges being random? I can take or leave it. Some players will move to when they feel they are in automatic charge range than charge from distance and hope it makes it. We have players who have great eyes for distance. But charging from range has its advantages in some situations. Poor the man who rolls low and can't reign in the charge.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:42 am

Barry,
So what's the latest...been pretty quiet since you posted the latest updates/recommendations. 8)
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Greg,

I'll get it to you all at the weekend... been working away this week. I have read your own group's notes with great interest and have incorporated many of your suggestions.

Further slight mods to the 'platoon fire eligible' units. I think the overall balance will be just about right now
+1 IF FIRING STATIONARY
-1 FOR RANK FIRING WHO FIRE AND MOVE.

Makes for nice tactical decisions.

cheers
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Barry,
Sounds good. Our group here meets on Tuesday, and should be able to run a game.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA