Line Abreast

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Line Abreast

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Gentlemen,

Could the above formation be used for charging cavalry? On page 14 of BtLB it shows an image with the following caption: Bavarian Cuirassiers "Bielke" in line (two squadrons abreast).

In the rules it states that only one squadron at a time can charge unless using the "All or Nothing" rule.

I've often wondered if two squadrons could charge in line abreast if they belonged to the same regiment. I know that this was a normal Napoleonic tactic but, was it in use in this period?

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Jim,
timing!!!

I just sent out the Rev5 iteration of the playtest copy to the groups. Lots of clarification in that. Multi unit charges on a single target are possible(I did send you a copy a couple of weeks ago as requested did you get it?)

Remember though, a single BLB squadorn actually is the equivalent of 2 actual squadrons because of the model to man ratio 1:40.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Barry,

Yes I got it and have been reading through it whilst keeping a weather eye on the discussions. The rules seem to be taking the track I like so I have had no need to say very much. I couldn't find any reference to line abreast in the new rules so that's why I brought it up.

I appreciate that equivalency of the two squadrons, but it just seems right for units of the same regiment to be allowed a bit more freedom.

I really like the way they are shaping up.

Wouldn't mind a copy of Rev5.

Regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.