Artillery

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
Churchill
General
General

Artillery

Post by Churchill » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:31 am

Ray, I'm working on the layouts now and I can answer your questions.

BLB2 introduces the 'Battery Equipment Area' for field guns...

An area equivalent to the base size used for each gun should be marked off behind the gun model itself. This denotes a zone in which equipment and ammunition is located. It is inaccessible to friendly units on a voluntary basis. If players do not wish to model something especially some markers can be used.

It isn't necessary to have a 'Battery Equipment Area' for battalion guns.

The ratio of artillery is nominally three guns per model, but the amount of artillery should be limited. One battalion gun for each battalion in your army is too much. One such gun per brigade is more balanced where historical evidence of use is available. 2 heavier guns is a maximum for games involving up to 15 units per side unless recreating a historical action with known numbers in excess of these guidelines.

Infantry battalions and cavalry squadrons are the same as BLB1.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:37 am

In BLB2 will the guns be represented the same as in R2E e.g. 1 model to every 2 guns.

Not sure of the actual scale, light and field guns have 2 and 4 figures respectively which equates to 2 and 4 D10 when firing. When the figures are gone the guns are rendered ineffective.

I also know that limbers would not have been in use at this time, but I would think that the space behind the guns would be used for the above mentioned horse teams, labourers etc.

/edit I stand corrected based on Clarences' updated ruling. Though artillery was a civilian force, laborors plopped the guns down and left the field. They would return after the battle to collect and move them to the next battle and being civilians at their own pace. King Billys artillery train was attacked by Sarsfield because of its slow ponderous movement when he really needed it and Ginkel was without his artillery after the battle of Augrim in the last few siege/battles as well.

I'm I correct in thinking that infantry will still be in 18 figure battalions and cavalry in 6 figure squadrons.

Yes, though the number of models is not important. You can have 12 figure battalions and 4 figure squadrons if you desire. Since removing figures doesnt happen until 50% casualty sheets are used but calculated at 18 and 6 figures as you stated.
Last edited by flick40 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:38 am

BLB2 introduces the 'Battery Equipment Area' for field guns...
thats a new on on me :)
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:43 am

Heh... yeah, but I've got the advantage of having the final manuscript!
Churchill
General
General

Artillery

Post by Churchill » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:52 am

Is there any news on the finished cover art yet for BLB2???

Doh! I'm working on the layouts so I can give Barry something to do - there will be all new photographs and as I still don't have a collection for this period, it's all on him! While he's taking photos, I'll be working on the artwork, including finishing the cover.