Fighting in Built-up Areas (Farms, Towns & Villages) &am

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army

Fighting in Built-up Areas (Farms, Towns & Villages) &am

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:58 am

Gentlemen, I am new to the Forum, so please forgive me if this has been covered before (& re-direct me).

There seems to be very little in BLB1 covering these aspects of battles in the period apart from some factors in charts for hard & soft areas and some movement deductions. Yet it does seem relevant whether fighting historical scenarios eg fighting in Blenheim village or the woods at Malplaquet, or playing Teaser type scenarios (this period has no light infantry units beloved of the Charles Grant teasers).

I would be grateful if you could say if this is to be covered in detail in BLB2 (I really look forward to its release).

Also I would be delighted if you could describe your various approaches to the matter, deployment, movement, combat & even modelling ideas & approaches.

Cheers, Rohan Wilmott
Rohan Wilmott

Fighting in Built-up Areas and Woods

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:02 am

Apologies - the topic title should finish as "and Woods", not "&am"

Cheers, Rohan.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for the questions. Heres what I can tell you for fighting in built up areas. Yes BLB1 was very vague in it's handling of this topic. The rules at the time were designed as fast play and anything too detailed in this regard slowed the game. Since Republic to Empire was designed and published an innovative way was created by Barry to fight in built up areas. There will be more detail in BLB2, which are still quick rules but not 'Fast Play'.

In a nutshell each area will have 2 ratings, size (which dictates how many troops can be inside and attack it) and construction (what protection level provided). As for woods you would be free to create your own special rules to fit the situation.
Rohan Wilmott

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:52 am

Thanks for the advice, Flick. Is October still the anticipated date of release of BLB2? Cheers.