Getting Started

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
Bagatrix the Dane

Getting Started

Post by Bagatrix the Dane » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Greetings from Canada, I have been patiently waiting for BLB2 since Historicon last year and have now painted close to 150 Danish foot with 36 Danish horse, for those that play tested , how much does one need for a game in terms of figures? Plus would there be Army lists for the rules?Cant wait to try it out.
Thanks
Bagatrix the Dane
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Who do your Danes plan to fight?
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:48 pm

While there aren't army lists, there are some sample armies to give you an idea of force composition.

Looks like you have roughly 8 battalions and 6 squadrons which sounds like a great starter army. Time to start on the other side...
Bagatrix the Dane

Getting Started

Post by Bagatrix the Dane » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will be fighting the French, and will be having the Danes fight alongside the English and or Dutch.

Where would I go for some ideas on army composition?
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:55 pm

None of Barry and Clarence's rule sets are very strict on "army composition." They feel - and I agree - that Army Lists tend to lead players toward min-max combinations for tournament play (and resulting unpleasantness) and not to historical force mixtures that may not be ideal on the table top.

The best suggestion for army composition I can think of is to look at orders of battle from the War of Spanish Succession or the War of the League of Augsburg and see how the Danish contingents were included in the allied Army/armies. That should give you a good idea what your contingent against the French would look like.

The first place I would recommend looking is the Nafziger Collection here. There may be some inaccuracies, but it will give you an idea of where the Danes fell in that sort of thing.

The other suggestion is to pick a period battle that is your favorite; perhaps one where the Danes did something suitably smashing (or infamous!) and build your force around that. Churchill's British collection is built that way. He picked the Battle of Blenheim and built the British contingent for it.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Your Danes can be part of the Allied army at Blenheim or the Low Countries in the WSS or they can be with Prince Eugene ion Italy. Plus, the can fight the Swedes in Scania or Pomerania in the GNW. The Danes are the most versatile troops of the period, IMHO. Go Danes!
Churchill
General
General

Getting Started using the Danes.

Post by Churchill » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:00 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Getting Started

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Bagatrix the Dane wrote: ...I will be fighting the French, and will be having the Danes fight alongside the English and or Dutch.
Bagatrix,

MERDE!

-Geriatrix

Seriously though, I hope to get a game against you someday if you ever manage to get to one of Barry's weekend battles. You seem to have a good starting army there, even if you have forgotten that Nelson bombarded Copenhagen about a hundred years after your men fought for England. That's gratitude for you!

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.