SKIRMISH BATTLES

This forum section is open to posts, questions and comments on conflicts between the end of the Great Northern War and the start of the French Revolution. So, Austrian Succession, SYW AND AWI affecionados .. this is for you!
quindia
General
General

SKIRMISH BATTLES

Post by quindia » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Just picked up a book from one of the traders at Histoicon called SKIRMISH BATTLES by someone named David O'Brien...

Nice work , Dave! I have been thinking for some time about modeling the battle of Cowpens and some of the scenarios would be a nice start toward a larger battle (though Cowpens could hardly be more than a skirmish itself). I obviously haven't had time to read the thing yet, but flipping through it looks like just the thing!

:D
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: SKIRMISH BATTLES

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:31 am

quindia wrote: ...by someone named David O'Brien... :D
Clarence,

I've heard of him: he was compulsory in our English Lit. class when I was just a wee boy. Ranks up there with Trollope and Dickens.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: SKIRMISH BATTLES

Post by obriendavid » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:40 am

quindia wrote:Just picked up a book from one of the traders at Histoicon called SKIRMISH BATTLES by someone named David O'Brien...
Nice work , Dave!
Thanks Clarence I'm pleased you think it looks OK, it's a bit dated now as it was written about 20 years ago and much more info has come to light since then but there is still enough info to give you some good games. The production was done old style at the start of computer technology with the text typed on Mac but most of it was still cut and paste. I'm surprised you managed to find time to get away from your games as it sounded quite a hectic schedule you both had.
Barry and Dave Imrie have both had copies for a while but so far we haven't done anything with them. The actions are generic enough that they could easily be transposed to other periods, especially Napoleonics.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:24 am

Guess who had it at the show? :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:49 pm

You lot across the pond might want to keep an eye on Dave... seven scenarios and six of them end with variations of of the surviving redcoats/loyalists fleeing into the nearby swamp...

Great scenarios, Dave... really enjoyed reading the book.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm glad you like them Clarence, I have had a few other articles on the same period published over the years in Miniature Wargames, Wargames Illustrated and 18th Century Notes and Queries.
It's quite funny that all the feedback I've had over the years has all come from over the pond.
I got into the AWI after a holiday in the States and spent 10 days in Boston and surrounding area and was inspired by a visit to Bunker Hill.

Cheers
Dave