BLB for SYW?

This forum section is open to posts, questions and comments on conflicts between the end of the Great Northern War and the start of the French Revolution. So, Austrian Succession, SYW AND AWI affecionados .. this is for you!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

BLB for SYW?

Post by barr7430 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Over the time that BLB has been out i have had a steady trickle of questions about its suitability for SYW. I know a few people have actually tried it and I think the results have been fine, alas I am not one of those so my info is second hand. Recent conversation brought it to front of mind again.
My stock response about adaption has always been around: Use the GNW Swedish amendments for the Prussians. Clearly there are more Cuirassiers and the Hussars may have to use the Irregular light cavalry rules. I won't do anything formal about period creep for BLB but i just wondered what others more familiar with the later war thought?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Re: BLB for SYW?

Post by blindjack » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:46 am

Personally, I think if others want to make their own amendments because they see how it can fit then let them do it. You've produced a great set of rules that have been carefully and thoughtfully conceived in order to give a flavour and atmosphere for fighting a particular period.

I'm not one for these generic "rules that cover 300 years of musket warfare". All that happens is that loads of amendments and special period additions continually flood the wargamer. I'm after rules that give me specifics. If I'm playing Franco-Prussian War, I want FPW specific rules - not generic horse and shot rules.

Still to your guns Barry!

Sorry... it's early, I'm tired and miserably full of the cold.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:56 am

I tend to agree on that. I noticed a post on TMP yesterday about a set of rules Phil Barker(of WRG fame) had created to form army level games between 1700 and 1915 or something crazy like that... it listed some of the factors/amendments... geez.... I could feel my brain expanding to crack my cranium even after reading 2 sentences.

My question is motivated only my being curious. Gamers are ingenious and can stretch and morph things for the good as well as the bad!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:44 pm

I've got a copy of those Barker rules - spend too much time looking at them and you get an irresistible urge to take up flower arranging....
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.