Battle of Kolin 1757

This forum section is open to posts, questions and comments on conflicts between the end of the Great Northern War and the start of the French Revolution. So, Austrian Succession, SYW AND AWI affecionados .. this is for you!
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Battle of Kolin 1757

Post by nevermore » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:07 am

Gamed in 15mm with over 1500 figures on the tabletop, more photos of this famous battle on the
website.

The Battle of Kolín on 18 June 1757 saw 44,000 Austrians under Count von Daun defeat 32,000 Prussians under Frederick the Great during the Seven Years' War. The Prussians lost the battle and nearly 14,000 men, the Austrians lost 8,000 men.

Frederick's main force turned toward the Austrians too early and attacked their defensive positions frontally instead of outflanking them. Austria's Croatian light infantry (Grenzer) played an important role in this; harassing the regular Prussian infantry under Generals von Manstein and Tresckow, they provoked them into a premature attack.

The disunited Prussian columns blundered into a series of uncoordinated attacks, each against superior numbers. By the afternoon, after about five hours of fighting, the Prussians were disoriented and Daun's troops were driving them back.

Prussian cuirassiers under Oberst von Seydlitz (promoted to major-general on that day) finally showed up. There were many charges and counter-charges on the Krzeczor Hill. The first Guard battalion under General von Tauentzien saved the Prussian army from a worse fate, covering the Prussian retreat.

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Battle of Kolin 1757

Post by obriendavid » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Very nice clean looking game Malc.
Cheers
Dave
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Great looking game

I just finished reading 'Frederick: a Military Life' by Duffy about two weeks ago. Great period. Were there any Saxons on the table?

Which rules did you gents use?

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Well i was on the left flank of the Austrians, so much going on the field never noticed much going on, was way to busy smacking those Prussians, two sets of rules as we had two games to see what we thought was better, the first are the club rules and second with adjustments added were Black Powder.
Much as i like the club rules i prefere B.P. as things seem to move that much quicker which you need when gaming a large battle as this otherwise the yawning sets in waiting for the turn to finish.