Great game

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
flick40
Major General
Major General

Great game

Post by flick40 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Clarence,
Gavin and I played this last night, great fun, Royalist victory (me). We compiled a few questions/suggestions. I'll send them to you later, might help when you go bigger on the rules.

Joe
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed May 11, 2011 12:49 am

Thanks, Joe!

The rules are FUN. There are obviously gaps, some of which I've filled but many more that need work. Your questions and comments would certainly be welcome!
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:36 pm

We are playing this again on Monday. If all goes well we will be taking the plunge into ECW figures and building forces to help you test these out later in the year. We have already purhased a sample unit each to paint up. So it could be said we are taking the plunge. :)

Quick question we wanted the answer to before Monday; Hits; go away at the end of the turn or at the end of the current card being played?

Thanks
Joe
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri May 20, 2011 2:22 am

Hits are dropped at the end of the current card being played, not at the end of the turn card... it is WAY to easy to stack up wipe out a unit if you can concentrate fire from two or three units on one target.

I'll try to get to your other questions this weekend... been a crazy week. You guys put a lot of thought into your questions and I didn't want to just rip through them...
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Sun May 22, 2011 10:51 am

We play it slghtly different in that hits do'nt go away if the next card drawn is an enemy firing card,it can be devastating but it does'nt happen too often, given the firing arcs.

iain
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: Great game

Post by flick40 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:17 am

OK Clarence, we played again tonight. Again we had fun. Where do you get off making rules where the players have fun? :) And curse you we have $500 worth of figures headed our way to paint.

We did come up with some other ideas and questions for you which we will compile and forward soon.

We played the breakout scenario from Mr Grants book. I thought this would be a great test of the card driven style rules. To be honest I wasn't sure how well card movement would handle the scenario but it did with no issues. (another loss for Gavin and his Parlimentarians)

Joe
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:54 pm

3rd game down and a draw this time. Narrative below and pics to folow soon. Kindly ignore any names mentioned that don't fit the date.

Jul 12 1642

My most humble lord I beseech thee to hear of a great battle I partook in this day. T’was a lonely affair for my part yet one I shant forget. By may fathers good graces I aquired a commission in Sir John Liburnes regiment of dragoons. On this day we were posted in a farm stead to secure the road and allow our forces to pass.

As the mist cleared there was not a sound to be heard. Then coming down the road behind us we could hear the singing of Sir Hoptons regiment of foote. Then further off in the distance we saw two regiments of horse. I learned later they were Balfors and Sheffields regiments. Both I also learned later were badly mauled. It appear’d we would pass the road unmolested.

Suddenly to our fore there appears a large regiment of foote of the kings army. And then to our far left two more regiments of horse. Altogether both forces went slowly towards each other, we holding our position behind a low stone fence. ‘Erhaps this would not go as smoothly as thought.

As with most battles the horse being the faster had engaged one another. Sir Hoptons men were moving to aide us in our position but were slowed by the threat of the kings horse. Some short bursts of fire from both antagonists were to no avail. But the horse were soon put to route by the sudden appearance of Hazzelriggs regiment of fully armored horse. The kings horse wisely rode off instead of being destroyed by them.

It was at this time a second regiment of foote appeared, Sir Aspleys, and moved steadily our way. Our commander seeing we were slight out of position had us move to our right. This upset some of the men who had set out their shot and powder ready to defend their position. Jenkins complained the loudest but was soon smacked with the flat of the sergeants blade and he gathered wits and equipment moving quietly to the new position.

Behind us to the right we heard the clamering of wagon wheels and saw our guns moving to our position. The mens hearts were gladdened by this sound but to our front some of the kings guns were moving our way as well. It seemed though that luck were on our side and the kings as well for the guns became bogged and made no farther progress to aide us this day. Such are the fortunes of war.

To our front the larger of the two regiments formed for battle and moved close as if to issue fire, but none came. Our commander ordered us to fire and many of the kings men fell such as to shake their very resolve. They returned our fire to little effect. Again we poured fire into them and as the smoke began to clear we saw them moving away in great haste. This left only Sir Aspleys foote to our front and they too moved with great interest to dislodge us from our hold.

Suddenly there was a great cloud burst and in short order we were soaked to the bone. All our powder was - and useless. The same had to be true for Aspleys foote. It rained unending for ten minutes or so and our vision was greatly reduced. As soon as it came it had left. The air thick but fresh and not a single man of the kings army stood before us - those we had killed.

Later in the evening we learned that we still held the road but none of our forces were able to move past it. Our horse were bested by that black name Rupert. It was heard they marauded our supply traine killing several of the camp followers, women and boys. A pox upon them and I swear to this day we shall have victory without quarter!
Last edited by flick40 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
daniel1492
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by daniel1492 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Joe,

Would love to see some pics! :)

Daniel
"As fate is inexorable, and not to be moved either with tears or reproaches, an excess of sorrow is as foolish as profuse laughter; while, on the other hand, not to mourn at all is insensibility."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Code: Select all

Would love to see some pics!
Done.

We played that scenario with all the troops we have for the period. We even broke our cardinal rule, no unpainted figs on the table :shock: The scenario was simple, single unit holding a position and other troops came on as their card was drawn. A die thrown for location of arrival. The game flowed as the narrative states and it ended with an event card (the rain) and then the next card was Turn Over. It was turn 10 and we thought it a perfect ending to the game.

As for who won, we called it a draw. The Parliamentarian horse was badly mauled, 2 out of 3 routed. The dismounted dragoons held their own against 2 reg't of foot, routing one. The guns never got into the fight. both commanders were either wounded or captured and 1 Parliamentarian brigadier was lost.

Plans to play another game this Monday night. :)
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Joe, could you post the order of battle for the scenario?
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:49 am

Joe, could you post the order of battle for the scenario?
Royalist
CinC (We used the King Charles I figure I had, any CC works)
1 Brigadier
1 Sqdn Kings Life Guard (We made these Cuirassier. I don't care if there were no Royalist cuirassier units, this is the Kings Life Guard!!) :P
2 Sqdn Gallopers
2 Sqdn Trotters

1 Brigadier
1 Battalion Foot
1 large Battalion Foot (Used the Regiment Variation rule)
1 Light Gun

Parliamentarian
CinC (Gavin used his unpainted Cromwell. For Shame!)
1 Brigadier
2 Sqdn Cuirassier
2 Sqdn Gallopers
2 Sqdn Trotters

1 Brigadier
1 Two stand unit of dismounted Dragoons
1 Battalion of Foot
1 Light Gun

We used a random d6 to determine the morale grade of each unit, 1-3 = raw 4-5 trained and 6 veteran. Amazingly the Kings Life Guard were the only unit to roll a 6. Aside from the card per unit and officers we used one event card, one reload card and one artillery card.
daniel1492
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by daniel1492 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:07 am

Great looking game Joe. I'll post some of my ECW when I get a new camera in a few weeks. I am very excited about VWQ. :)
"As fate is inexorable, and not to be moved either with tears or reproaches, an excess of sorrow is as foolish as profuse laughter; while, on the other hand, not to mourn at all is insensibility."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:48 am

We played again tonight. Pics and write up later. It was a much larger game as Gavin had picked up some foot off E-bay. We are enjoying VWQ as well.

Joe