FAQ

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
quindia
General
General

FAQ

Post by quindia » Sun May 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Ok, these were asked once by Joe and Gavin, but they were good questions...

1. Page 3 - can shaken units charge? Do they require a morale check to charge a shaken enemy unit?

Shaken units cannot move closer to the enemy and this includes charging.

2. Page 5 - does the rule for needing more than 6 to score to hit apply to all rolls requiring more than 6 to succeed? (See my note below for dropping this.)

Yes, it would apply to morale as originally written, but I think I’m with you on dropping this convention anyway and moving to “6” always hits and “1” always misses.

3. Page 6 – note says that a stand firing Firelocks gets an additional die per stand firing…why? Isn’t that the standard weapon of the period? Is this saying that flintlocks get fewer dice? If so, why? If the flintlocks are inferior why were they adopted over firelocks?

Ah. Firelocks are flintlocks. The main musket of this war was the matchlock which required the soldier to carry a slow burning match to ignite the primer charge and set of the shot - kind of like a mini-cannon. The firelock (or flintlock) was lighter, but more fragile than the matchlock and expensive to produce at this time, so was only employed in limited numbers and normally given to ‘elite’ units only.

4. Page 6 – at the end of the example of shooting it states that the two hits are now dropped…is that correct? Or are the two hits dropped when the “Turn Ends” card is drawn?

Hits should be dropped at the end of the current card, not the end of the turn. I need a sub-unit of time to describe the actions taken during a card as a turn measures from the start of a new deck until the ‘Turn Ends’ card is drawn. Round? I’ll work on that. Units become far too fragile if multiple units are allowed to gang fire to accumulate Hits. I have an optional rule to allow generals to ‘hold’ up to two cards rather than play them at once. These may be played in conjunction with the current card if it falls to his own side, or after if it is the enemy’s Round (you can’t interrupt the enemy with your held cards, but can play them before the next card is turned). If this rule is employed, you might try allowing hits to accumulate from multiple units.

5. Page 6 – can steady horse unit counter charge a unit that doesn’t charge its front (i.e. can they turn to face if they pass a morale check)?

No.

6. Page 7 – are all a rout moves as indicated on the combat results?

Yes.

7. Page 9 - when is Rout move made, immediately or when unit receives its next order?

The initial Rout move is made when a morale test is failed. Subsequent Rout moves (should a unit fail to rally) are made when the unit card comes up. An officer may try to rally a unit on a commander card with a Hold order, but failure does not cause another Rout move - only the unit card does...

I'll put together another list from e-mails I've received.