alford

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

alford

Post by bibio » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:50 am

We played the game using the order of battle taken from Steven Maggs scenario book,and using six mil figures dispite my initial doubts about converting distances into centimetres they worked fine .We allowed brigade moves to start with and removed the end of turn card until thethe units came within a viable distance this allowed the brigade to move as a mass and individual units to fine tuneWe also adde another card - the lull card- this allowed any shaken units a chance to become steady without the chance of routing if they fail, if they fail they remain shaken.We also added that when a unit has more casualty marker than stand it routs before it is removed from the table and any freinds within 12cms(inches for 28s) take a morale test.Anyway onto the game
Unlike the actual battle the covenanters elected to come forwardenmasseso the oppsing forces closed to musket range and the cavalry on the wings closed with each other after two hard fought fights the Gordons on the right won but were unable to rally so did not take any more part in the battle. The coventers on the left won their fight and after chasing down the royalist horse managed to rally .the infantry fight in the centre swayed too and fro with the lull card saving a couple of units on both sidesbut eventually a coventer unit took too many casualties and while roting took another one with them this created a gap into which the royalists were able to take advantage of and start exploiting the flanks of the split line the covenanters started to fold which was lucky for the irish brigade who were about to be charged in the rear by the coventer horse.For this game we had introduced an army break point system so the game came to an end.
The event had as always thrown in quite a few wobblies but supisingly the 66 came into play 4 times and there were three dead regimental commanders.
This is the first time we have played an actual battle from the war and the rules gave aout come that was historical
iain
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: alford

Post by flick40 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:49 am

Interesting idea with the "Lull" card. We will have to look at that idea as well.

We have a end game determinate as well; after turn 10 a die is rolled and if a 'one' comes up the game is over. An additional die is added for each turn so at the end of turn 13 four dice are rolled. We then squabble over how it went and determine a level of victory. :)

As for making a destroyed unit do a rout move before removing it, we simply added to the morale test; seeing friends rout or destroyed with-in 12"

Joe
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:56 pm

This was the fist time we have used an endgame,normaly its pretty obvious who won. The lull card wasgood and no doubt we will think of other things which can be done on it as it was unless the dice throw was nine or above ther was'nt much chance of steadying the unit I think out of the dozen or so attempts there were only three sucesses.
I think that as we were using 6mm figures on small bases getting the units to actually rout was the best way,when we go back to 28s just using units within 12" will be alright as our tables are usually fairly packed affairs 15 to 20 odd units a side.

iain
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:19 am

We also added another card - the lull card- this allowed any shaken units a chance to become steady without the chance of routing if they fail, if they fail they remain shaken.

Actually, a blown roll on a rally attempt should not result in a rout... shaken units simply remain shaken - one of the things not clear in the ity-bity rule set as it stands. Shaken units forced to test for incurring further casualties, watching friends rout, etc. run the risk of routing as you would expect.

Joe is right about the 'routing or destroyed' as well... my current version of the rules says exactly that.
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Mine has only routing units ,but it was a long time ago we downloaded them. Is it worth downloading them again ?
Since Isent you the initial highlander rule i have ammended them a bit as we found they were too powerful and we've added a salvo rule for the Irish but it still needs some work.

iain
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:41 pm

There is no 'second edition' available on the web - I merely meant to mention where things stand now in my super secret notes and where my original intent was... 8)