Unit Sizes?

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
rsk112

Unit Sizes?

Post by rsk112 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:34 pm

Hello, I am fairly new to the period but have played a few games of this game recently and something is confusing me right now, unit sizes. We played with cavalry of 2 stands and 3 horse each, so 6 total. But on a few of the battle reports I have seen online, cavalry seems to be 4 stands, 2 in front 2 in back. Can cavalry be different sizes? How does this formation of 4 stands affect the number of attack dice and durability? Or am I mistaking 2 close units of cavalry as 1 larger unit?
itchysama
Private
Private

Re: Unit Sizes?

Post by itchysama » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi rsk112! Welcome to gaming ECW and VWQ!

While not the "expert" on VWQ, I can give you what we do in our VWQ games. While we are not "100%" official VWQ rules as written (I know that phrase will drive Clarence nuts :wink: ) we have tweaked the rules a bit to give us the style of play we enjoy. And it seems to bring about historical outcomes A LOT!

On to your questions.
"Can cavalry be different sizes?"
Yes. We have horse regiments "TYPICALLY" with of 2 squadrons, with 2 stands in each squadron. We have had (due to the OOB from the original battle) smaller regiments of a single squadron (2 stands) of horse as well. We have also had a maximum of 4 squadrons for very large regiments of horse. But we always have keep the squadron size as 2 stands.

We use Robert Giglio's books (VERY RECOMMENDED) ECW OOBs from battles/scenarios to put together our armies/battles. Lots of great stuff there.

The number of cavalry figures on the stand is more as you desire, but we typically base them 2 or 3 to a stand.
"How does this formation of 4 stands affect the number of attack dice and durability?"
The formation of the unit definitely affects the attack dice in VWQ. In our games, each stand in the front rank fights at contact, but secondary ranks do not until subsequent rounds of melee (if any). In practice, we find it VERY helpful to have that secondary squadron in the rear involved in melee.

Here is a combat example:
Red team with 1 squadron trained gallopers charges Blue team with 2 squadrons (in 2 ranks) of trained trotters.
Provided both sides make their morale checks to charge/counter charge, the melee combat factors would be:
Red Team: 6d6 (3d6 per stand of gallopers). They need 4+ on any dice to hit.
Blue Team: 6d6 (3d6 per stand of trotters). They also need 4+ to hit.
Let's say both sides do 2 hits, but no casualties. No morale test is taken. So they are locked in combat.

Next Round of Combat:
Red Team: 6d6 (3d6 per stand). Need a 7+ to hit (mounted at halt).
Blue Team: 12d6 (3d6 per stand, front and back rank). Need a 7+.

The odds are definitely with the blue team rolling 12 die vs the Red team's 6 die.

Anyone else with opinions/options on this?

YIS,
Alan
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:19 am

Standard size for units of horse are two stand squadrons and regiments can be one to three squadrons strong...

However, Alan is correct - feel free to modify things as you see fit! His solution is a good one. The last version of VWQ I was working with had variable sized units, though it's been a while since I looked at them and I can't tell you exactly what my solution was!
CoachB
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CoachB » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Well then Clarence take a look see at your last version :-)

I too was a bit confused in the size of a cavalry regiment.

From reading the rules, page 2, 4th paragraph, it says "Horse units may be fielded in regiments of two to four squadrons." Then at the bottom in th 1.1 Unit Organization Box it has Squadrons of two stands.

they way I read it, it says in order to have a horse regiment I needed a minimum of two squadrons or 4 stands of horse. It doesnt address a horse unit with only 2 stands operating as a unit, unless it is part of another 2 stands that they are from the same regiment. So all horse units must have a minimum of 4 stands.

It that correct?

It sounds like itchysama is counting a single stand as a squadron and using 2 stands to form a regiment. is that what I am reading or have I gone off the deep end, lol?
itchysama
Private
Private

Post by itchysama » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:04 am

We had some horse regiments with only 1 squadron (2 stands) based on the scenario we were running. The rules "as written" do call for 2 squadrons (4 stands) minimum. But the amount of horse in the historical OOB did not qualify enough numbers for 2 squadrons, so we made it just 1 squadron.

Again, as Clarence has written, these rules are not for "tournament" play, so some give and take are required. By doing so, however, we have found that the historical outcomes of battles with these rules are VERY in line with what actually happened.

FYI - those single squadron regiments did VERY well in our scenario, when not getting shot at or - up in traffic jams. Extremely brittle (2 casualties and poof!), but great at catching infantry in march columns!

Your mayhem may vary.

YIS,
Alan