Artillery ratios

Help related to anything in the gaming world
wbamick
Private
Private

Artillery ratios

Post by wbamick » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:09 pm

Hi Barry,
I am reposting a post that I must have not sent but would have sworn I did, must have deleted it some how.
Go figure...

We are really enjoying the rules but wanted your imput as to artillery ratios and percentages etc.

What works best for you when you game?

We are not wanting to "over" artillery the game table. Accurate artillery information appears to be hard to come by. I have gathered what I could but am not satisfied with it. We were thinking about using the following general percentages which were loosely based upon Blenheim. French/Bavarian - light guns between 45 and 50%, positional 10-15%, the remainder field guns. Anglo/Dutch/Imperial - between 50 and 60 % light guns (actually closer to 60%) with the remainder field guns. This works out to be about one gunner per two battalions of infantry (on the assumption that a gunner represents about two guns). Of course scenarios can allow different ratios of guns but for a pick up game this is what we were considering.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bill
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi Bill!

This is a really interesting question. I cannot disagree with your ratios(and wouldn't want to!). I am no expert on the precise details of artillery availability but would recommend that you and your group consider the following when creating orbats/scenarios:

1. Mobility was extremely limited and the pieces were probably overweight relative to their power.

2. Mention of artillery playing hugely significant roles in the major engagements is not common. I suspect it's main purpose in the field was rather along the shock and awe principle as opposed to the battle winning principle.

3. Concentration of guns into batteries on the table is not very realistic in this period(the rules prevent multiple firings on the same target with some few notable exceptions). Distributing the big brummers along the line is probably more accurate.

4. Use the new target new orders rule. It prevents the guns being thought of as some sort of 17th century Machine gun rotating its fire around at anything that moves.

5. In encounter battles try bringing the guns on after the army has started to deploy. They would normally have been toward the rear or middle of any formation because of their speed. I remember at our Overjise game(See scenario in Warchest) the Allied artillery didn't arrive until about Move 27 because the Dutch Generals had placed it behind their own wagons and mobile field whorehouses in the order of march! By the time it reached the field their own infantry was nearly two miles behind the French lines!

I have scoured thro' numerous orbats for the period and often there is no mention of the number or calibre of guns in the trayne despite the fact that each battalion is precisely identified. One may conclude from this that
a. They didn't keep records(unlikely)
b. Artillery was not seen as hugely significant(more likely)

Checking the Orbat for Sedgemoor ,the Royal army(6 battalions and 14 troops of Horse) had :

2 12pdrs
4 demi culverins
4 sakers
2 minions
4 6 pdrs
4 iron 5pdrs
4 brass falcons

24 pieces in all but ask:

How many are light ? - many

This is for an English Army(the King's own) playing on home turf and less than 120 miles from London!

I don't know if this helps Bill but I hope so.

A final word, I cannot remember a single battle including refights of Blenheim, Ramillies, Malplaquet, Neerwinden,Walcourt, Fleurus and more in which the artillery played more than a peripheral role in the overall result.

Keep those dice rolling!

cheers

Barry :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford