Dixon Figs

Help related to anything in the gaming world
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Dixon Figs

Post by pappenheimuk » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:48 am

Guys can anyone tell the best figs to use for a hypothetial battle
between Williams Dutch etc and James's royal forces during the 'Glorious Revolution' period.
I was looking at Dixons but they are split into 'Armies of the Grand Alliance' and 'League of Augsberg infantry'.

Any opinions?

:D
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
Anonymous

As regards Dixons figures

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:55 pm

Nearly all of the figures could be used form grand alliance range could be used for Williams Dutch etc and James's royal forces during the 'Glorious Revolution' period. Look at Mark Allens wonderful contributions In
Wargames Illustrated starting in Feb 1998 #125. The illustrations will give you good guide to the uniforms etc.Regards Lindsay
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Thanks mate,
Do you know if the forces would use matchlock muskets or flintlocks?

David
Anonymous

matchlock

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:54 pm

The matchlock was being replaced slowly over this period by the flintlock and with most regiments fielding them in equal numbers til around 1685. The matchlock had probabley disappeared byt the turn of the century. A more short term piece of equipment was the plug bayonet which was only introduced after 1689 into the british army, but had been replaced just a decade later by the ring bayonet.During this period most regiments were formed of a single battalion. The battalion consisted of 13 companies , one of which comprised of grenadiers, The grenadier company contained no pike men , but the remainder were made up of both musketeeers and pikemen, withe the pike men making up about a third of the company. By 1690 the proportions were about 5:1 in favour of the Musketeers. In action the pikemen were drawn off from there companies and formed a single body, usually deployed between two wings of musketeers. Regards lindsay
lenin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenin » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:56 pm

Hi,
I know I keep banging on about them, but I figure you have to go a long way to beat Reiver Castings James II range from Old Glory, a range that is purpose built to cover this extremely interesting period of history. Sure they sometimes look slightly odd when first viewed unpainted (a factor which many figure manufacturers share), but once painted and based they look great, the detail on each figure is great and lends itself to most styles of painting (even the now unfashionable 'drybrush' technique). The range also addresses any problem over troops having Matchlock or Flinlock weapons as they poduce figs with either. As far as whether which type of musket was used a good rule of thumb is (I believe, and I'm open to criticism here) Royal Regiments tended to have the best and therefore up to date weapons. Therefore, Guard Regiments should have flintlocks while ordinary regiments should still be using matchlock. I hope this has been of some use?

Cheers, Andy
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:46 am

Thanks again lads, I didn't know Old GLory stocked that range.
Since its Reiver castings and not OG, do you still have to buy separate pikes for the pikemen and drill - in their hands to hold them? a while ago I bought a pack of OG WOR Scots and had to drill - to fit their pikes.
David
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:04 am

Sorry guys,
Forgot to ask this is last message,
did grenadiers from different battalions brigade together with those from other batalions in this period, or did they stick with their battalios?
If so how many would you show in a battalion using UtLB battalion organisation?

david
Anonymous

Grenadiers

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:56 pm

For the look of the thing I would say at minimum two perhaps three. The regiments pre 1685 were somewhat larger approx111 men per company. After 1685 the king reduced the company size to 1 captain 1 Lieutenant 1 ensign 2 sergents 2 corporals 2 drummers 2 Hautbois players and 60 privates. In addition there was the regimental staff of 1 Colonel 1 Lt Colonel 1 major 1 quartermatsre 1 Adjuutant 1 chaplain 1 surgeon and surgeons mate. Look at Barrys pics in the warchest Its easy to see the Grenadiers. As regards seperate Grenadier companies banding together this may have been done by the continental armies at the time but I don't think till much later in the period. Regards Lindsay