French Musketeers WSS

Help related to anything in the gaming world
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

French Musketeers WSS

Post by curassier » Thu May 05, 2005 8:03 pm

I want to get a unit of French Musketeers for the war of the Spanish Succession. Does anyone know what the officers dress was like/ Did they have a similar tabard to the men? Front Rank's officer casting has a tabard, but some earlier sources (1690's) show the officers in just a red coat.

Curassier
Jonathan
Anonymous

French Uniforms

Post by Anonymous » Thu May 05, 2005 11:59 pm

I have seen illustrations of French officers both with and without sashes in the period 1660 to1702.
The Uniforms of the French Army 1660 to 1845
by Paul Willing, Charles Vernier (Illustrator)
Uniformology CD2004-15
Marbot's French Army 1500-1786

This is one of the reasons barry is starting an archive if you have info on French uniforms of this send it to me and I will get it collated for the Archive. regards Lindsay
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:05 am

Two Companies of Musketeers existed:

1st(Grey) Company. 200 men + officers

Uniform ALL scarlet lined scarlet with gold lace and hat trim plus White feathers. Saddle cloth Scarlet with silver trim. Carried MUSKETS not CARBINES.
They wore a tabard of medium blue edged silver(also at the neck -). White cross, red flames in the angles and gold fleur de lys at ends of cross.

2nd (Black) Company All details same except lace andhat trim in silver. In the angles of front cross of tabard - gold fleur de lys not flames.

Company colour refers to horse colour. Trained to fight on foot or mounted.

Source: The French Cavalry 1688-1715 C.A.Sapherson. RAIDER Books 1990

WARGAMING NOTES (B Hilton)

1. I would give them first volley bonus as they carry muskets.
2. They are a unit of the Maison du Roi which should give then Guard status.
3. They should form up in some reserve position as such a prestigious corps would be unlikely to join the battle line.
4. As a wargames unit they could be painted as 1 x squadron of 6 figures with grey horses and 1 x squadron of 6 figures with black horses.
5.Dismounted version 2 bases of 6 figures fighting as guard.
6. I suspect tabards may have been worn on the field but possibly removed in action as they may have been an encumberence.

No distinctive info on officers but I would presume- grander versions of the Musketeers uniforms with or with or without tabards.

I like the sound of them... maybe I'll do them myself!!! 8)
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by curassier » Fri May 06, 2005 6:51 pm

Guys - that was quick - many thanks.
Barry, any source suggestions for French dragoon uniforms and flags. Most of those that i can find are either in red facd blue or vice versa. Where do the greens and yellows come from?
All th best
Curassiser.
Jonathan
Anonymous

Ref

Post by Anonymous » Fri May 06, 2005 7:38 pm

This link will take you to Nec Plurius Empar
http://vial.jean.free.fr/new_npi/archives/archiv.htm
http://vial.jean.free.fr/new_npi/index.htm
The marbot collection of prints have some dragoon references too. Regards Lindsay
Anonymous

Books that may help

Post by Anonymous » Fri May 06, 2005 7:54 pm

Chandler, David. The Art of War in the Age of Marlborough. Hippocrene Books, NY. 1976.

Chartrand, Rene and Leliepvre, Eugene. Louis XV's Army (5) Colonial and Naval Troops. Osprey, London. 1997.

Churchill, Winston S. Marlborough, His Life and Times. Scribners, NY, 1933.

Dupuy, Trevor and Dupuy, R. Ernest. The Encyclopedia of Military History. Harper and Row, NY. 1970.

Fuller, J.F.C. A Military History of the Western World. (Volume 2). Minerva Press, NY. 1967.

Funcken, Liliane et Fred. L’Uniforme et Les Armes des Soldats de la Guerre en Dentelle (2 vols.) Casterman, Paris. 1975.

Grant, Charles. The Battle of Fontenoy. William Luscombe, publisher. London, 1975.

Johnson, Curt. Battles of the American Revolution. Roxby Press, London. 1975.

Kennett, Lee. French Armies in the Seven Years War. Duke University Press, Durham. 1967.

Lawford, James (ed.). The Cavalry. Crescent Books, NY. 1982

McLaughlin, Mark G. The Wild Geese: The Irish Brigades of France and Spain. Osprey, London. 1980.

Mollo, John. Uniforms of the Seven Years War. Hippocrene Books, NY. 1977.