WARFARE PRIVATE COMMISSIONS - WHAT INTERESTS YOU?

Information related to WARFARE MINIATURES releases, future releases, range development, painting, figure usage, conversions

What codes might you invest in/buy if available

You may select up to 10 options

View results
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Re: WARFARE PRIVATE COMMISSIONS - WHAT INTERESTS YOU?

Post by turrabear » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:49 pm

Cheriton wrote:
barr7430 wrote:Mark, thanks for reminding me about that :D Yes I did!

Michael, it has been on the to do list for a while. I will hopefully get some progress on that front over the break. I have been trying to think of the most useful/imaginative way to do it in terms of battalions construction. I have finally(I think) come up with the method.
What I intend to do is offer the battalion packs 'themed' although the final designations are not decided but along the line as follows:

1. At the ready (unit standing ready to fire - as many head variants as possible in those poses with appropriate command)

2.Volley Fire (unit firing both front and rear ranks,with command and sergeants as appropriate)

3. Engaged (unit in various stages of firing and loading, with command and sergeants as appropriate)

4. Under pressure (unit with casualty pack included, officers and sergeants as appropriate)

I have painted up quite a few all in the same coats and intend to model and photograph these variants over the next week so that everyone can see them. I will still offer the packs as normal but the variants should illustrate the themes that the models can be used for.

Cheers

B
Barry:

First off quite understandable, not the highest priority (but nearly...) this hobby in life we must remember. 8)

FWIW, my preference would be, in descending order:

I would have percentages of each type, but 3 and 1 getting the most play. Then 4 getting a little less and then 2 the least.

At any rate, wishing you and LoA/WM great success and I shall continue support. :)

BTW, to anyone else using Windows 8 here? LoA seems to act up a bit, the pages bouncing and resizing at times. For example if I try to "mouse on" to the text window expansion "arrow" at right, it moves away and I cannot "grasp" it.

I suspect my older MS IntelliMouse being the culprit though Win8 pronounces it "operating normally. Continuing hold on tightly to this Win8 bucking bronco... :?

Michael
it was 3 that mr hilton made up for me and they look great . be even better when i get round to painting them.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:11 am

Yes chaps, the bug might hang around for a month or so unfortunately (but it doesn't stop your post being registered) Stuart is off to climb Anapurna tomorrow morning the brave laddie! He will have other things on his mind till Jan 28th.

On the options for Apostle battalions, when I get the pix up in a couple of days we'll see what you all think!

cheers for now
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Clibinarium wrote:Hi guys,

for clarity my issue with heads is just that I don't like to dolly them, I think every figure should have its own individual face to give them a little individual character. There's a bit of an issue too with producing separate heads, as its hard for customers to fit them and get them not to look like they've been plugged in, however I am not against separate heads in principle. As Dan says the best approach is to do two codes, have one pack in hats and then the same figures in karpus.

In general GNW is something I'd be enthusiastic about having a go at.
think the idea of two codes for the russian gnw figures is probably the best idea .you could also do it for the swedes as well .
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:15 pm

just from a personal point of view i would like to see the swedes first as let's face it no swedes no great northern war.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Russians, not the damned Swedes...! :shock:
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:18 pm

Russian James wrote:Russians, not the damned Swedes...! :shock:
who are the russains going to fight then jim apart from the turk's.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 pm

I understand what you're saying, but might be interesting to see which factions will be most popular to the forum and other customers...

Personally I'll go for Russian and Norwegian, no Swedish.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Jim,

Of course it will have an effect on production lines which Nations sells best.
But this is a decission which the Owners of Wargames Miniatures have to make after the sale has run over some time.

I am on your side that the Swedes shouldnt be the first but instead Swedes AND Russian should be together in the first release.
They are the best known adverseries in the GNW.
Saxon/Polish troops and Danish are mostly unknown in this conflict.

IMHO: Where would Russia be if not Saxon/Polish soldiers gave their blood four long years and kept the Swedish Ogre busy?

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:44 pm

Russian James wrote:I understand what you're saying, but might be interesting to see which factions will be most popular to the forum and other customers...

Personally I'll go for Russian and Norwegian, no Swedish.
the bad thing about norwegians jim is they are only good for charles xii norwegian campaign and maybe cross border skirmish games against the swedes . i think that most people would go for thee swedes as with out them no great northern war . this is just my personal opion then the russian's as most people have heard of poltava and narva . then the saxons as battles such as kliszow and fraustad arn't so well know out side gnw gaming circles.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Jim,

Of course it will have an effect on production lines which Nations sells best.
But this is a decission which the Owners of Wargames Miniatures have to make after the sale has run over some time.

I am on your side that the Swedes shouldnt be the first but instead Swedes AND Russian should be together in the first release.
They are the best known adverseries in the GNW.
Saxon/Polish troops and Danish are mostly unknown in this conflict.

IMHO: Where would Russia be if not Saxon/Polish soldiers gave their blood four long years and kept the Swedish Ogre busy?

Günter
good idea gunther relising swedes and russian pack's together would keep most people happy. the danes are only really good for 1710 onwards put could be used for the wss . last but not least the saxons as you pointed out where would the russians be with out our saxon friends so well worthy of a relise and can also be used for saxon battalions in imperial service during the wss.which to me gives them a strong appeal.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:25 am

the danes are only really good for 1710 onwards put could be used for the wss . last but not least the saxons as you pointed out where would the russians be with out our saxon friends so well worthy of a relise and can also be used for saxon battalions in imperial service during the wss.which to me gives them a strong appeal.
Swedish Regiments can be use for LoA Confederate Army :!:
Captain of Dragoons
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:26 am

Captain of Dragoons wrote:
the danes are only really good for 1710 onwards put could be used for the wss . last but not least the saxons as you pointed out where would the russians be with out our saxon friends so well worthy of a relise and can also be used for saxon battalions in imperial service during the wss.which to me gives them a strong appeal.
Swedish Regiments can be use for LoA Confederate Army :!:
ifyou are talking about the swedish regiments in dutch service yes you could . tecnicaly these were actualy germany regiments as they were recruited from sweden's german provances. some native swedes served as officers rank and file mainly german.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:59 am

"Swedish Regiments can be use for LoA Confederate Army"

The GNW uniforms will not work for the LOA Swedish regiments in Dutch service. It appears that those regiments were clothed similarly to other Dutch regiments, although they had blue coats.

Here is a question, though: Did the Polish hussars still have wings in the GNW?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:20 am

Dfogleman2 wrote:"....Here is a question, though: Did the Polish hussars still have wings in the GNW?
That may answer your, also my, question:

http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/C18/faq.htm

You have 'Polish' cavalry types - Hussar (of the winged kinds), Pancerni, Light Horse, etc. These would be very similar to the same types as in the previous century.The armour could be lighter but usually was still worn. You should be thinking more of swords, pistols and carbines as armament rather than lances, spears and bows. But the 'old fashioned' weapons were still used and around generally. So as far as the information I have essentially the 'Polish' cavalry types looked the same as previously.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:27 am

I have to admit I never realised the Poles still had winged hussars at this period! :lol:

As far as Norwegians are concerned, I would not expect separate models -I intend to use a mixture of current LoA, Russian in karputz and the occasional tricorne...

I'm only interested in them as I travel to Norway frequently on business and have found a couple of articles, plus they would be very rarely modelled units!