Flags by Quindia Studios

Information related to WARFARE MINIATURES releases, future releases, range development, painting, figure usage, conversions
quindia
General
General

Flags by Quindia Studios

Post by quindia » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:19 pm

The catalog offered so far includes more than 100 regiments of foot, 35 regiments of horse, and 18 regiments of dragoons. For the most part, I have concentrated on the Boyne/Aughrim campaign so far. Certainly I have not included every unit, but I think every unit with known flags has been covered. Other units have been speculation based on heraldry from a colonel, a region, or simply conventions of the period. Many of these were named purely for the purpose of keeping records and could be used for other regiments.

If I have missed any units you want for your collection and you have information (or even speculation) on what the flags might be, I will be happy to add them to the catalog. In fact, I just noticed that I left out Schomberg's Huguenot horse which is one of the first on my list when I get my hands on the new Warfare minis, so I'll be looking for two more Williamite horse regiments to add with it.

I plan to add some more sheets for Scotland, but I am starting to look at expanding the collection to others areas and eras of Europe. Some of the existing flags will work for Flanders, etc, but mnay others will change (many of the Danish flags are different). Right now I'm working on some French horse for 1692-93 to go along with the foot already in the shop, but I'd like to hear about what the readers of the forum would like to see (and buy!).

Generally, I like to focus on a battle or campaign, but would also consider a national army for smaller nations - particularly if the person making the request can provide or point me in the direction of references!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Flags by Quindia Studios

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Clarence,

I am quite sure you know what I would love to buy but I put it down for the others here. My part of history I am most interested in is the Great Northern War, the Kingdom of Poland-Saxony-Lithuania. As most of the Saxon-Polish Army were constantly involved in Poland all Regiments of the Saxon Army can be included in the Flag sheets.

Best Wishes,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:16 pm

YOU are in luck - Barry and I discussed the GNW a few days ago - yesterday I ordered GREAT NORTHERN WAR 1700-21:Colors and Uniforms Volumes 1 and 2 by Hoglund and Sallnas...

It's on my list!
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:11 pm

For me, Savoy Piedmont and Spanish.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/bandsabaude/Bandiere001.html

:)
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:28 am

Hello Clarence

Your flags look awesome 8)

Realizing the flags are for the 1690ish period, how far forward could they be brought into the WSS. I don't think the French flags would change that much. The Union of England/Scotland was 1707/08ish? So for the English/Scots/Irish Regiments would they have carried the same style colours from the 1690's into the early part of the WSS. Thinking it would of taken time for new colours to reach the regiments in the field.

Think I recall seeing different versions of the Dutch Blue Guards - Williamite years and WSS period.

I would rather use the the early flags than the standard Union colours. All the different style colours on the table top would look impressive and add flavour to the regiments.

Great work.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:30 am

Thanks, Captain!

The French flags are probably good for the whole period. Many of the English should be good for a decade or more beyond. I know the Danish flags change and some of the Dutch, but I'll take things on a case by case basis...
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Danish cavalry flags for Ireland now added
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:32 am

just noticed the new dragoon and cavalry flags exellent work . but a quick question . the flags that you have produced for king james life guard , robert hall , ca sphaerson brain mcnally in is exellent book in augrham show a different flag for james life guard. also history of the british army vol 1 also show's this flag and sean o brogain painting the death of st rue show's this flags as well . so which flag should i use for james life guard in ireland.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:19 pm

Not exactly sure I understand your question, but let me try.

Are you asking about the foot or the horse - the reason I am confused is because I don't have a Sapherson book that shows King James II's Lifeguard (horse), but Sapherson and McNally BOTH have the Irish Guard (foot). I'll answer both...

In C.A. Sapherson's William III at War, Scotland & Ireland 1681-1691, he shows the regiment of foot with the royal banner which is the first set of flags on the sheet. This seems to fancy for a Jacobite regiment of foot and might have been carried on parade, but probably not in battle. I used the flag for my King James II vignette. The Robert Hall version is represented by the second set on the flag sheet. The third set is for additional flags in the unit (many units carried more than two flags) or to head up the second battalion on the wargame field to help distinguish them. Sometimes flags in multiple battalion regiments were different, but we don't have enough information on the details so I simply presented a variant.

In Michael McNally's The Battle of Aughrim 1691, Robert Hall shows the same standard as the first one on the sheet above, which would be for the first troop. One difference is Mr Hall's standard in the plate appears red in the book, but I attempted to make my crimson as all of the accounts refer to it - kind of like the argument about facing colors of the Dutch Blue Guard, it's something not worth worrying about, but some flags are listed as crimson and some as red by the same authors, so I tried to make a distinction.

A second difference are the cherubs supporting the crown. In Stephen Ede-Borrett's The Army of James II (set before the Glorious Revolution, but there is no reason to believe the king changed his standards), he does indeed mention cherubs on the standard of the second regiment, but states this was the only regiment that had them. The other flags on the sheet above represent the second (white w/cherubs), third (yellow), and fourth (light blue) troops of the regiment. The fifth flag on the sheet is the Scots Troop (dark blue) which was disbanded in 1689. For that matter, by 1690 there are only two troops of Lifeguard mentioned...

Whew! Hope that helps... :D
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:29 pm

"YOU are in luck - Barry and I discussed the GNW a few days ago - yesterday I ordered GREAT NORTHERN WAR 1700-21:Colors and Uniforms Volumes 1 and 2 by Hoglund and Sallnas..."

Quindia: That is great news for those who want to support a GNW range! Since there are nearly 200 Swedish flags in the book, you have your work cut out for you if you want to do them all. Dan Schorr used to have a range of GNW flags and he can probably help you with the Saxons, etc.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:56 am

sorry it was the cavarlry standard's i was enquiring about . but thank you so much for all the information you have provided in your answer . keep up the good work.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:58 am

Had further talks with our sculptor about GNW. It is now about when these can be sculpted and not if. I know there is a commercial dimnesion to close off but that will be relatively straightforward. More news soon... just want to clear the decks for the hordes of Cuirassier about to pass through my home town :lol:

Henry Ford
tbarkowski
Private
Private

Post by tbarkowski » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi Barry,

My personal hope is that you make the decision to finish off the LOA range prior to starting too far down the path into a new area.

It seems that it's close. The remaining horse, mounted dragoons/command and the complimentary poses of apostle bearing foot would pretty much give me everything I need to do Ireland completely with WM figures.

My fear is that once a new project is started the shine of what was getting done isn't so shiny anymore. Wargamers syndrome I call it......and have it! :o

Tim
Tim
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Fear not Tim,

anyone who knows me, knows I am a 'finisher' :wink:

I am far and away NOT finished with 1680-1700. Apart from the stated additions you mentioned there will be:

French infantry
French Guard troops
More cavalry codes
More dragoons
More artillery crews
Civilians
Recruit infantry
More personalities
Vignette sets
Engineers and labourers
Equipment sets
Siege warfare sets

Henry Ford
tbarkowski
Private
Private

Post by tbarkowski » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Glad for the reassurance. I have been following league of Augsburg for years and can attribute it to much of my inspiration when I slide into a wargaming slump. Even thought it was a league for a long time not imagining that one guy did all this.

I just read an interview or something of the likes with you on a blog where you stated that your prolific success in so many periods could be attributed to focus. I had to sit back and take note. I've got a lot painted in my 40 years of doing this. But scattered and incomplete. Dozens of wouldn't that be cools.

Quite honestly I'm taking stock. Looking at all I have and trying to get honest with myself. You're 54 years old, Tim. Pick five and only five projects to work on and ditch the rest as you'll never finish them if you lived to be 120. Make one of them new to be the fast little red Covette to calm your mid life crisis. That's where WM comes in.

Hmmmm......might need to pick six.......what an evil sickness. But then again my wife is grateful my midlife crisis doesn't involve a knock out 32 year old. LOL
Tim