mounted dragoon query

Information related to WARFARE MINIATURES releases, future releases, range development, painting, figure usage, conversions
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Re: mounted dragoon query

Post by turrabear » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:44 pm

also what mr shcoor 's example is a cavalry regiment not a dragoon regiment . so there is no evidence that I can see which back's up dragoon's have kettle drum's in the field.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Point taken!
IMHO I cant remember to have read a single battle report were, in my case, the Saxon Dragoon fought on foot. They were 2 or 3 years riding circles within Poland mocking the Swedish.
On the other hand when talking about 'swedish cavalry routs Saxon horse' no difference was made between Cuirassiers, Dragoons or Garde du Corps.
Therefore I would say it makes no difference if Dan say's it is a Cavalry Regiment or specific a Dragoon Regiment.
Btw., was Poltava some kind of a Parade when the Swedish lost their drums?
You wont make out the difference between a Dragoon Drum and a Infantry drum but you know they didnt have kettle drums. Sweet.

If Barry intends to make such a figure I would love to have it on an external base in front of Dragoon Regiment. If not, no problem at all.
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Point taken!
IMHO I cant rememember to have read a single battle report were, in my case, the Saxon Dragoon fought on foot. They were 2 or 3 years riding circles within Poland mocking the Swedish.
On the other hand when talking about 'swedish cavalry routs Saxon horse' no difference was made between Cuirassiers, Dragoons or Garde du Corps.
Therefore I would say it makes no difference if Dan say's it is a Cavalry Regiment or specific a Dragoon Regiment.
Btw., was Poltava some kind of a Parade when the Swedish lost their drums?
You wont make out the difference between a Dragoon Drum and a Infantry drum but you know they didnt have kettle drums. Sweet.

If Barry intends to make such a figure I would love to have it on an external base in front of Dragoon Regiment. If not, no problem at all.
the question gunter was whether dragoon regiments had a kettle drum . my original question I put to you was if dragoon's had kettle drum';s would they have been used for pardes ie not used in actualy combat. to answer your question in not knowing if it's a dragoon kettle drum or a horse kettle drum the examples given by myself and other are all horse regiments ie Poltava , lund states the kettle drum's belong to a horse regiment. mr schoors example is a horse regiment the examples in trophees de la guerre de succession d'espange all belong to horse regiments. i'm simple putting forward historical examples. but if you can find an example of dragoon's using kettle drum's in the field then that would be great..
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Guys, I think you know me by now. If there IS a way to make something happen... I'll make it happen :wink:

Stand by...

now, where did I put my bloody mobile? :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:42 pm

What about your laptop :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:24 pm

I have it back don't I!!!! so, what are you on about? :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Barry, I apologize. This will be my last shot on this subject.

Mr. Turrabear, I stand by my assertion that Saxon dragoon regiments had a kettledrummer, and that they participated in combat. Whether or not you wish to believe it, is your business. However, the sources you cited are a bit questionable.

“Trophees de la Guerre de Succession d’Espagne” shows French and Bavarian kettledrums only. Neither of these States had kettledrums in dragoon regiments, so it is hardly surprising that none show up in this work. I never said that all dragoon regiments had kettledrums.

The Swedish Army Museum’s Digital Museum does indeed show over 100 drums. None are kettledrums from the GNW, and few are Saxon. This does not mean that the museum does not have them. Not everything in the Museum’s possession has been photographed and placed on the Digital Museum. Also, not everything captured by the Swedes during the war made it back to Stockholm. In addition, the Museum’s identification of items is often generic rather than specific as to unit, and date and place of capture. So your statement is hardly conclusive proof of anything.

Curt Jany cites some Brandenburg-Prussian dragoon regiments as having kettledrums (pages159, 349 and 604)

Höglund in his book on Swedish uniforms cites four Swedish dragoon regiments as having kettledrums, two of which were at Poltava.

At least one Danish dragoon regiment had a kettledrum.

Not just the Livregiment lost its kettledrum at Polotava, but every cavalry regiment and two dragoon regiments at Polava-Perovolotjno lost theirs as well. By the way it’s Englund not Lund.

Lists of battle trophies quite often did not make a distinction between kettledrums captured from cavalry regiments and those from dragoon regiments. They looked the same.

I don’t understand your logic when you admit that cavalry kettledrummers participated in combat, yet you argue that those belonging to dragoon regiments did not. There is a disconnect here. Were dragoon kettledrums more valuable than those belonging to the cavalry in that they had to be kept safe and only brought out for parades? Don’t apply 19th Century use of the kettledrum to the late 17th and early 18th Century. Having a kettledrum does not prohibit dragoons from fighting dismounted.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:34 pm

right mr schorr in reply to your post one I know which period the book trophees de la guerre de succession d'espagne cover. the kettle drum's in the Swedish arm museum can be placed chronologically between 16 10 and 1710 so that would cover part of the great northern war . well according to the book in hoc signo vinces.
also I never at any point claimed they did have saxon kettle drum's if you read my first post on it I did say i'd seen a saxon drum in the armaments museum .
the Swedish life guard was just used as an example and nothing more .
the reason in have my doubt is simply because the only examples I have seen of capture kettle drum's apart from the Swedish dragoon regiments are all belong to hores regiments
yes I know that not all capture flags ect were recorded or even kept . if I rember correctly a good example of this would be the blue regiment at lutzen due to the state of the flags. new information seem's to come to light all the time so possible some one will have more information on dragoon kettle drum's.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:38 pm

oh one last thing mr schorr I think that we have established that saxon dragoons had kettle drum's my original question was did they carry them in combat you seem to think that they did so that is good enough for me