mounted dragoon query

Information related to WARFARE MINIATURES releases, future releases, range development, painting, figure usage, conversions
toggy
Major General
Major General

mounted dragoon query

Post by toggy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:23 am

Having heard rumours that the mounted versions of the dragoons are on the way, I wondered if the command will include kettle drummers?

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: mounted dragoon query

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:54 am

toggy wrote:Having heard rumours that the mounted versions of the dragoons are on the way, I wondered if the command will include kettle drummers?

Bob
Good question, Bob, would be interested to know that too.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Yes... I haven't seen the sculpts, but I helped search for the reference...
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks for that Clarence, can now plan the units round that.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:07 am

Dan Schorr describes Kettledrummes in his "Notes on the Saxon Army". Therefore I would assume that they had some in their ranks. I copy here the uniform discription from Dan's Notes:

Kettledrummer: every regiment had kettledrummer. Uniform specifics are unknown; however an illustration of a kettledrummer ca. 1716 for the Brandenburg-Bayreuth Regiment shows a rather plain uniform with only swallow’s nests on the shoulders, and wearing a grenadier cap.
Kettledrum Color: Each of the drums had a colour. These were normally in the facing color, with fringe and trim in gold or silver depending on the button color. The colour displayed the Saxon-Polish or Saxon Arms or parts of them, along with a crown or kurhut (electoral cap)

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Dan Schorr describes Kettledrummes in his "Notes on the Saxon Army". Therefore I would assume that they had some in their ranks. I copy here the uniform discription from Dan's Notes:

Kettledrummer: every regiment had kettledrummer. Uniform specifics are unknown; however an illustration of a kettledrummer ca. 1716 for the Brandenburg-Bayreuth Regiment shows a rather plain uniform with only swallow’s nests on the shoulders, and wearing a grenadier cap.
Kettledrum Color: Each of the drums had a colour. These were normally in the facing color, with fringe and trim in gold or silver depending on the button color. The colour displayed the Saxon-Polish or Saxon Arms or parts of them, along with a crown or kurhut (electoral cap)
would they have actualy been used in the field gunter as personal feeling is that they may have only been used for parades ect nothing to back this up apart from I can't rember seeing saxon dragoon kettle drum's in the armaments museum. have seen a saxon infantry drum. but I may well be wrong on this.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:33 am

Mark,
You maybe right on this. I am very sceptical myself. It may also be that the "Pauker" listed in the Companies is the same as the drummer when the unit dismounts.
Dan Schorr would be probably the best man to answer this question as it was out of his Notes I had this information.

Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm sure one of the Williamite trophies from Aughrim was a kettledrum.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Ben Waterhouse wrote:I'm sure one of the Williamite trophies from Aughrim was a kettledrum.
may have been from a cavalry regiment.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:11 pm

A ketteldrummer was common in most cavalry regiments of the period. He was part of the regimental staff. He was less common in dragoon regiments; although Saxon dragoon regiments did have a kettledrummer as part of their “Etat” or table of organization. This is confirmed by the 1701 “Etat” for Saxon dragoon regiments. Some Brandenburg-Prussian dragoon regiments also had a kettledrummer. They may have existed in dragoon regiments of other states, but one would have to check their “Etat”.

Did kettledrummers participate in combat? I would say yes. The kettledrummer of the Danish Livgarden til Hest was killed during one of the three charges by the Livgarden during the Battle of Helsingborg in 1710. There are probably other examples. A captured kettledrum was a highly prized trophy ranking with a captured standard.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:16 pm

I knew it!
If someone can provide such info than You Dan! Thank You very much!
So Kettle Drums it have to be :D

Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Nils Bielke, Colonel of the Swedish Livregement of horse at Lund, says that the regiment's kettledrums were lost during the battle. The drummer was looting the Danish camp when a group of Danish cavalry chased away the five troopers who made up the drums' guard, killed the drummer, and took away the drums.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Hmmm,

kettledrummers. I will have to think about that one carefully as I suspect it will not be a major seller but could be quite expensive to have made particularly if we need more than one type.
One for my next concall with Clibinarium I suspect
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:I knew it!
If someone can provide such info than You Dan! Thank You very much!
So Kettle Drums it have to be :D
had a look at tropheese de la guerre de succession d'espange and it show's a few French kettle drum's all from cavalry regiment's . the Swedish life guard lost their kettle drum at Poltava once again a cavalry regiment. the Swedish army museum has a 132 kettledrum's in it's collection none appear to be from dragoon regiments.gaya's traite des armes 1678 states that drum's proper were used by infantry and dragoon's. also find it strange that their doesn't seem to be any recorded dragoon kettle drum's captured in the 9 years war,gnw or wss.
also going forward every so slightly the polish lancers of napoleon's guard had kettle drum's same with the dragoon's but they weren't used in the field for pardes only.