October 2012 Derby Weekender (and 2013 Weekender 'ideas')

Info and chat about wargaming weekend events arranged by LEAGUE OF AUGSBURG in both England and Scotland
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

October 2012 Derby Weekender (and 2013 Weekender 'ideas')

Post by Blucher » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Gents

Thought it was time to start some updates about Derby in October.

As you've probably seen by Barry and Toggy recent postings and 'photos' - painting Warfare Miniature units is well underway - in preperation for our 'Big Table Weekender'. I can now reveal that on The Weekender we are heading for...

.....IRELAND - 1690....

Whilst Barry and Toggy have been busy knocking out painted units (and I've done a couple as well!) - I've been busy sorting and planning The Terrain, and doing my usual conversions to terrain tiles to feature in this years final Weekender.

Unlike previous Weekenders, there will be no 'info' prior to you turning up on the Friday night, when the extensive table and briefing will be covered....(top secret at present!).

More 'snippets' over the coming weeks...

Now... Info for 2013 Weekenders....

Here are the dates we have available for 2013 in Derby:

1st/2nd/3rd March 2013
and
11th/12th/13th October 2013

As most of you are aware, we are always trying to bring you something 'fresh and enjoyable'...and with 2013 in mind we are toying with ideas that can deliver this again.

A fledgling idea we are 'mulling over' at present, is very exciting to us...but before we go too far with it, we would really appreciate comments back from you Forum members (especially if you've been to previous LoA Weekenders - or are wishing to attend future events).

We are considering having both these 2013 Weekenders as the beginning and end, Massive Table Top battles of a 'year long campaign' - set in Ireland 1690.

How it would work is that each of the attendees/players would get their commands as usual, designated by 'us organisers' for the March game. Depending on your Weekend performance, your 'result' would be carried forward to a 'play by email' (nothing too heavy or complex) - Umpire generated continuation, of the campaign. Over the months between March and October we would allow players to 'rally stragglers, recruit to bring understrength units up to strength, raise new units, enhance (or devalue!) your Commander's capabilities etc, etc. Your commands would then 'fight out' the climax of the campaign on another massive and impressive terrain table in October.

Like I said - feedback would be welcome....

We do appreciate that some attendees may not wish, or be be able to attend both events. This would not be a problem or hinderence as our vast experience of running these weekends would allow us to let attendees 'buddy up - family tie' their commands with other attendees only attending 1 weekender. It would be like The Schombergs at The Boyne - commands could pass up and down the 'family tree' with both 'players' sharing the 'responsibility and/or infamy' between them (and each playing part of the 'play by email').

As usual, these are the only 2 definate Weekenders for 2013. Due to other personal and 'hobby commitments' that we have (Barry especially!!!) - then participation will be booked on the usual 'first come first served basis'. There may be other Weekenders both in Derby and Scotland in 2013, like this year, but nothing certain if/when/maybe? We will always be firstly focussed on our committed Weekenders (especially if we run a 'campaign')/events/shows and in Barry's case, production (Warfare Mins & Wordtwister).

Thats it for now - comments please.

Regards

Adrian
Churchill
General
General

Re: October 2012 Derby Weekender (and 2013 Weekender 'ideas'

Post by Churchill » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:11 am

Ray

...yes, it's a thought....but not one we'll probably be following.

Like I mentioned - we're always trying to look at fresh and different angles for the Weekenders... and although it's 'an anniversary' and a great battle, it's been done to death over the years by clubs, shows, demo's, articles, magazines etc, etc

Why not think about running/organising a big Leipzig event/game yourself Ray...I'm sure you could get lots of people involved who would 'chip in' with stuff.

Just a thought.....

Adrian
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:50 am

Blucher wrote:.... and although it's 'an anniversary' and a great battle, it's been done to death over the years by clubs, shows, demo's, articles, magazines etc, etc ...Adrian
And I' m, as a Saxon, not very fond of 'The Battle of the Nations' either :cry: :(
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 pm

It's also the sesquicentennial of another rather important battle.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:00 am

j1mwallace wrote:It's also the sesquicentennial of another rather important battle.
Gettysburg?

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:14 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:37 am

Ray

I thought the request for comments was quite specific and were for the running of 2 x 1690's Weekenders which were 'either end' of email campaign/events - if it wasn't, I'm sorry. The request for these comments was for all Forum members, but we would really appreciate comments from past attendees and prospective attendees especially. At the end of the day, it's the attendees we are primarily concerned with so that they experience a good and entertaining event.

I was also wondering where you got the info about us doing The Boyne/Aughrim...?

We have not even discussed this between Barry, Toggy and myself as yet!

There are many other interesting engagements/scenarios in Ireland, other than these 2 major battles. As we are possibly running a campaign then 2 specific battles like these could limit the flavour of the email campaign. Some of the best games I've ever taken part in have been 'hypothetical' or based on 'what ifs'.....and most of these have been organised and arranged by Barry himself...!!!!

So Ray, hopefully this gives clarification and I would welcome your comments.

On the subject of you being keen on Leipzig - any further thoughts on you organising a 'Big Leipzig'...I would be interested to know.

Cheers

Adrian
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 am

Churchill wrote:Hi Gunter,

Thanks for that, I should have known Gettysburg 1863, but that was in July and not October...Great battle, would be great to refight on the wargames table.

Cheers,

Ray.

Ray,

You are right about the month :oops: Let's see what Jim realy ment :roll:

Günter

BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Adrian,

Regarding the campaign element, and also subbing in players for the 2nd weekend to pick up commands from the 1st:

What if the command your being allocated is, how shall we say, less than optimal due to the decisions taken by someone else over the intervening 6/7 months? ie you reckon you'll get say 2 brigades and some cavalry etc, but the command you inherit is 2 weak brigades which have eaten the horses due to poor supply;)

If the campaign element can't make big swings up/down for the forces involved in the subsequent weekender, I hesitate to say whats the point?but thats the general drift ;)
If it will just generate some small changes, units getting better/worse/destroyed/created then surely that can be as easily simulated by some dice rolls for reinforcements and quality downgrades/upgrades on the morning of the 2nd weekender?

Unless of course all your after is the narrative element, I understand some people do bother about that :lol:

Cheers

Bill the gamey gamer :P
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Bill

Good points and queries.

Firstly, the 'campaign' would not be arduous - it would comprise of 'banter' and 'situations for commanders to consider' (all through the Umpires). This would result in 'changes' to strengthen/alter/change your command. Some of these factors could result in part of your command being sent on reconnaisance, some of your artillery being sent of to nearby town for helping with a siege, etc, etc. Some of these forces may/may not come back or other 'new ones' may be recruited. If , they return they may have distinguised/disgraced themselves when they return. It is not meant to be overly intensive (or time consumming) - it is trying to make it more 'personnal' with what you have on the table.

If people were to 'inherit' their command (for the 2nd weekender) then they would not end up with 'total dross' based on someone else's 'bad decisions'. For example, if you were to 'take over' command of a force we would allow you to take the reins on all/latter half of 'email campaign' which, like a real commander in the field, focus on sorting/improving your forces. The whole idea is to get you guys more 'personally involved'. We thought attendees (especially some like yourself Bill) that are regulars, might like the idea of 'more involvement in your commands'...as well as playing on the day?

This would allow more time to 'personalise your commands' than just spending time 'dicing up events/upgrades etc' on the morning of the 2nd Weekend.

Please remember, it's an idea at present, it's good feedback/questioning we need from you guys to see if it's potentially wanted.. Thats why its out there now - to see what people think.

Thanks for your input Bill...

...keep it coming...

Cheers

Adrian
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Leipzig, great battle but think that 200,000 french against 430,000 allies is going to tax most recruiting sergeants, with about 8 months to paint the figures in.Probably why we won't be doing it.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
ColinN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ColinN » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi,

The old role-player in me (confessional time on Fighting Talk) likes the idea of having greater attachment to the command and updates between the first and second weekenders would be fun.

Indeed if the weekenders did go this way would it be possible to have a preamble to the first weekend which influenced some of the initial setup? Or even some scene setting blog posts/targetted emails for those who are not too familiar with the period/campaign? Perhaps telling the player about their brigade commander, units' background etc. (this is bringing the role player out - I'll seek help as soon as I stop typing :? At least I haven't suggested having individual figures to represent players on the field - for well documented reasons).

Between the weekenders would you consider allowing some decisions/skirmishes etc. to be played out by players at their own clubs/meets (and perhaps against players not attending the weekenders) and feeding the results back?

Of course the instant fall out of that would be me having an excuse to collect another army; I can sense the better half's eyes rolling in exasperation already and she's at least twenty miles away. :shock:

I guess I'm all for a bit of narrative (sorry Bill :oops: ) and if its not to influence the game too much would opt in/out be a possiblity? (I appreciate enough would have to opt in).

Cheers,
Colin
"Colin Kills Kings, Colonels and Commoners... an equal opportunities employer"

http://khakidrab.blogspot.co.uk/
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:39 am

Colin

Potentially, almost anything is possible.

The idea of 'preamble' before the 1st Weekender is a good possibility...as it gets attendees in the mood before it all starts.

The possibility of 'mini skirmishes' on a table top between may be a little harder/complicated etc as an inbalance in the actual attendees to want/be able/logisticals etc to be part of these... it may make make them a bit of a 'bridge too far'... We would also have to factor in the fact that an attendee may not want the fate of his command to rely on 'someone else/club' with him then having to command their results.

The ideaa to keep it down to each Attendee to have a bit of a role play/email decisions to make was just like you've highlighted Colin...to make it more personal...and give those who want to...have a little gaming sideline between the Weekenders. One thing of importance to remember is that any attendees that want to come BUT DO NOT WANT to be involved themselves in any 'email part of the games' DOES NOT HAVE TOO... us Umpires will do 'umpire generated controls' for any changes to their commands.

So the watch word is... we can accomodate any which way you attendees want to take charge of your commands...they are for your enjoyment.

Thanks for input Colin...please keep queries coming.

Adrian