Faces?

Here's where we pass on good ideas to each other about how to produce mini-meisterwerks
flick40
Major General
Major General

Faces?

Post by flick40 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 pm

How do others do faces? I've never bothered with my older eyes and with younger eyes I was unskillful. Currently I just let the dip shadow the face recesses. On a gaming table nobody really sees them anyway. But I think that officer class figures should be painted to a higher standard than the rank and file.

Joe
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Faces?

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 pm

flick40 wrote: Currently I just let the dip shadow the face recesses. On a gaming table nobody really sees them anyway.
That's what I do. Sometimes on officers I highlight the nose and cheeks with flesh.
Tercha

Post by Tercha » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 am

here is what I do ....people tend to look at the faces 1st so i try my best on them.....this is rank & file, characters I try harder!
Attachments
Painting Faces.jpg
Painting Faces.jpg (228.85 KiB) Viewed 14625 times
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:24 pm

To me it depends on the quality of the figure. If the figure is sculpted to a very high level then I want to get all the detail I can such as Front Rank figures. But I've begun to notice that many of the newer lines are not focusing on sculpting the eyes in detail which is fine by me as I'll then just give them a quick highlight.
Greg
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:17 am

I rather dislike over detailed figures & the modern need to model every thing & then because its modelled paint it.

I therefore don't paint detail on faces beyond facial hair if modelled & base coat wash & dry brush highlight if the figure is not wearing a hat or helmet which puts the face into shadow. I can appreciate the effort put into sculpting & like nice sculpts but its the pose rather than the detail which sells me the figure.

I also detest people who pick up my figures in the middle of games to peer at them or peer at them in general. They should look the part on the table not at myopic peering range.

I also sympathise with my friend who sees figures as game markers & just bases them & sprays them so he can identify which side they are on & in some cases their role his WWII British bombers are for example high visibility orange etc, & his 15mm war of the roses are just sprayed in their livery colours.

:evil: Ginger
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:36 am

I'm more on the table sort of person, sure i highlight and dry brush to a ok look, but faces i tan and use lighter tones on the forehead nose and cheeks and chin, i use a sewing needle rather than a brush