Bases and painting

Here's where we pass on good ideas to each other about how to produce mini-meisterwerks
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Bases and painting

Post by lee sherman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:27 pm

I have seen the pictures of Warfare Minis battalions painted on the store and I have been told the bases are 60x60 this is enough room to have 6 troops and a Sgt or officer

Next question is

what is the best colour to paint the bases so the figures show clearly and don't get hidden or over shadowed in base colour paint? I have grass tufts and grass flowers but the bases on the pictures look quite pale underneath the grass. I'm not sure what the colour is as on my screen it looks almost white and I'm prity sure it won't be white

Thanks

Lee
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Bases and painting

Post by arthur1905 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:50 pm

Lee,

60 by 60 is more than enough for 6 figures plus a officer etc, the following photo has 2 ranks of 3 plus standard bearer in front

I tend to use GW Steel Legion for my bases, then highlighted magnolia

hope this helps

mark
Attachments
2016-01-20 17.27.38.jpg
2016-01-20 17.27.38.jpg (198.58 KiB) Viewed 15694 times
2015-09-22 14.56.13.jpg
2015-09-22 14.56.13.jpg (189.64 KiB) Viewed 15694 times
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:01 am

Yes that's what I need the bases don't over power the troops colours

Do you have dark sand underneath then paint it GW steel? is this applied heavy full coating the under base or dry brushed?

What magnolia is it just interior wall paint or GW type?
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by arthur1905 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Lee,

I tend to use the following mix for basing:
cheep all purpose filler (powder, not ready made) mixed with PVA glue and i tend to put some brown paint (currently Wilko Java Bean) into the mix as it helps to disguise chips etc.

Then sprinkle Buggy grit to part and Buggy sand to the rest, then paint with slightly watered down GW steel legion paint.

as for the Magnolia, I tend to use tester pot's from Wilko's (other paint suppliers are available :D ).currently using Wilko Biscuit Crunch.

this is what my bases look like prior to painting, hope this helps

Mark
Attachments
2016-01-21 17.53.35.jpg
2016-01-21 17.53.35.jpg (187.06 KiB) Viewed 15673 times
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:45 pm

Wow yes that's a big help

Those bases look great before painting already!

Lee
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:55 am

The Holy Grail topic for figure painters... how to base, what to paint it, how much grass etc to stick on.

Here is my tuppence worth for what it's worth:

Use thicker rather than thinner basing material - if you put lots of - stuff on top it can warp and curl up at the edges.
Use a craft knife to score across the bottom of the base in a cross hatch pattern ensuring the cuts leave the edges - this allows the stresses from warping to 'run out' and not be caught in the mass of the base causing warping.

Undercoat in a dark chocolate or similar.
Use 2 lighter dry brush layers could be anything from flat earth to khaki.
Never finish anything in pure white highlights - I generally avoid pure white even on uniforms making my final highlight 'off white' or very pale sand. I also try and avoid pure black where at all possible.

Put a shadow round the feet of the models by running a medium to dark brown wash in there.

Create ground variation by washing areas of stones or rough sand in a watery wash of mid/red/dark brown.

When you put static grass on top I always dry brush it - Japanese Uniform is a great shade for burnt grass. Static grass from a packet often has a glossy sheen to it and catches the light. The dry brushing not only fixes it down but reduces the sheen.

Use a few tuft and plants but not too much. I used to use flowers but tend not to do that now as I think they make the soldiers look to 'happy' :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always paint the edge of the bases too - usually brown violet or olive drab. I like the neatness.

two pennies now up!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:43 am

Some really useful stuff here, thank you.

I must admit that I now use precut mdf bases for most figures - one of the benefits is that they already have a nice dark edge that sets the figures off perfectly - no need to paint round the edges.

Phil
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks guys I will have a play about

Tell you the truth I ABSOLOUTLY hate basing! I don't know why I just do hahahaha. My figure painting is ok not to flash just under coats and basic colours then inks

I also research a lot into uniforms but I must be just crazy I just painted my Foot Guards Grenadier Company in Charles II reign and I wouldn't start until I had all the uniform colours and details, I found they had bear skins with bags not mitres James II used them and the lace had light green interiors and edged in yellow. Red coats and light blue cuffs and stockings breeches. Just ordered of Barry the apostle troops for the regular guards looking forward to painting them :-)..... Just not basing ahahha

Lee
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:03 pm

Grenadiers in the slightly earlier period under Charles II can use them to filed with the French! :o

Slight head conversion on Grenadier Lighting the Grenade to Bear Skin hope you don't mind Barry :-)

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:51 pm

Don't mind at all! very nice!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Darren789

Post by Darren789 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:37 am

Hi

My quick and dirty technique as follows

Mdf basest you don’t have to paint it!
Stick model(s) to base
Pva glue spread over the base and figure stands with small ain’t brush then dip in sharp sand and tap off excess
Allow to dry then dry brush with a soft beige colour of your choice (I use a tester pot from wickes)
Add a couple of tufts and bobs your uncle!!
Cheers
Darren