The main Protagonists of the GNW

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

The main Protagonists of the GNW

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:43 am

I think my post from another thread would be a good start for this part of the forum
Friedrich August I. wrote:Friends,

For the supporter's of the GNW Russian, Swedes and, as a sidekick Saxon/Polish, faction I like to say that I am far from doing another so-called 'Single Person Owner'-Army. Therefore I would line up with all of them who want's to do the Tricorned times of the GNW which means the time until 1712 and the ending of the GNW.
To get things into a frame I would suggest to form up the consortium Barry mentioned once which seems to contain - by name of the Avatars - Russian James, Cheriton, Dfogleman2 and Friedrich August I.
Any more GNW supporter will be welcome.

Btw., if someone is asking himself why I changed my mind from early Saxon(1699-1704) to the more late Saxon(1706-1712) should note what was written in this thread so far. The WM-Range cover's at least the early Saxon Infantry and Cuirassiers to some extend and can be used for their early time period.
What realy matters is that more than one person- I -should be satisfied with the production line that comes out from doing the GNW range.

So I would suggest to gather here all the Friends of this Theatre of War.

Therefore I am concentrating on the Saxon/Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Uniform details, OOB's and Equipment. It would contain any detail I can give and should provide Clibinarium with anything he need to know for sculpting them.

Hope to make a good start.

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The main Protagonists of the GNW

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:05 am

To the GNW-Army Collectors,

While reading through Barry's thread
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4114

I found the following members seems to be interested in this time line and I sincerely hope you forgive me my presumptuous behavior listing you here:

Friedrich August I.
Dfogleman2
Cheriton
Russian James
turrabear
in addition:
Redmist1122

Did I forget someone?

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:21 am

any thing i can to to help out please let me know gunther.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Gunter,
You add me to the time line list.

Thanks!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Friends,

According to the above I suggest we put together our thoughts how we wish that the future WM figures should look like and explaining such details as the positions of pockets, flaps turned back and so on.

Also I think it will be necessary to clarify which part of the GNW should be our focus. Such as 1709-12 not only for the Russian and Swedish encounter but also for the Saxons and Danish as well?
Some may think I am nuts but as I stated before I like the Saxons even if they wear Tricorns :D :wink:

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,
Günter

Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Gunter:

Gunter,

I agree that we should start with post-1707, if for no other reason than I believe that Swedes and Russians from the Poltava campaign will attract the broadest market.

The "tricorne" era for the Saxons also makes sense, and there are good economic reasons for these as well. Not only would they fit the post 1709 GNW period, they would do for many armies that took part in the WSS. We already have the cuirassiers with the cuirass under the coat, so these will work for Saxons.

Of course we will need Danes. They would work for WSS as well. It may well be that the current cuirassier sets in tricorne will cover them. There seems to be some inconsistency among the sources. The article on Dan Schorr's old website says that the breastplate was worn over the kyller, but was worn over the coat when the kyller was not worn. The plates show one figure with the breasplate worn under the coat but over the kyller. The question is whether the coat was worn with the kyller in battle, or only the kyller. Obviously the coat was worn a lot, since the spy reports referenced in the article detail the color and facing of the cavalry coats.

We should look into doing generic dragoons, if the belts are worn the same way by the Danes and Saxons. These would work for other armies as well.

We should also look into doing generic tricorne artillery which would cover the Saxons and Danes, as well as western armies. The bodies should work for Swedes and even Russians, but I think the Saxons and Danes would have had cockades, whereas the Swedes and Russians would not, so they might need different heads. If we could use the same bodies that might eliminate the necessity of sculpting entirely new figures.

Anyway, I am rambling, but that's a start.

Dannie
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:51 am

Dfogleman2,
Good point on where to start. The only quirky thing I can think of that would be totally different would be the Russians at the turn of the century, the Streltsi (musketeers)who were still sporting the Kaftan coat and matching fur-trimmed hats.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 am

Redmist1122 wrote:Dfogleman2,
........be the Russians at the turn of the century, the Streltsi (musketeers) who were still sporting the Kaftan coat and matching fur-trimmed hats.
I dont know how many people would be interested in that special look but maybe they could be taken into consideration when planing something like the Russo-Turkish wars along their borders or for the time of the siege of Vienna including Polish Winged Hussars and such colourful units.

turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 am

just read dfogleman's post with great interest and to be honest i think that he has hit the nail on the head about the route we should be going down with this . post 1707 peroid swedes and russians would in my opion be the best place to start as this is propably the most well know part of the great northern war the poltava peroid and for new people who may have an interest in the peroid there is also plenty of information. so to me this is a good starting point to promote the peroid.
gunthers saxons also a very good idea as well as dfogleman pointed out you can use these for wss saxon figure 's in imperial service . negitive point on saxons welll cannon fooder for the swedes .
polish commenwealth personaly like the idea but historicaly would possibly be better off used in a skirmish game .
danes good for wss but historicaly were talking 1710 onwards but you could have many a what if game. so to summup some exellent idea to come out from everybody involved and some really good points for everybody to mule over and disscuse in the form.
hopefully we can get some more feed back from everybody who would like to get involved
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 am

turrabear wrote:.... negitive point on saxons welll cannon fooder for the swedes .
I allways provide the Cannon fodder :wink: :lol:

turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:39 am

this is just a thought but do we actualy know what warefare miniatures plans are for their gnw range. would it not be better if we could maybe get mr hilton to post on what warefare miniatures plans are . then after this we could discuse how we can contribute weather it is through information on uniforms or if it would be finacialy to help get the range started. just a thought if anybody would like to add any thing please feel free
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Friends,

Just found this pictures from which Clibinarium and Barry may draw some informations about the early Saxon Cuirassiers and how I intend to let them be painted from:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wXdZS7KcFC8/T ... iers+1.jpg

It is again a plate from Dan Schorr's 'Notes on the Saxon Army'.

I once posted other links for Dragoons and Infantry in the WM-Wish List so this pic may now complete the views of my early Saxons.

Best Wishes,
Günter