Great Northern War Range

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Great Northern War Range

Post by barr7430 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:23 pm

A bit more detail on the detail conversation about project content.

We've being examining poses for dollies. We WILL produce attacking pikemen. The only pose we are likely to avoid is a levelled pike. We are thinking of attacking poses with pikes at angles between 15 and 45 degrees. To deal with the transportation problems there are a couple of options:

1. Hands will be 'closed'. We will probably get them drilled out before shipping. This will prevent pikes falling off in transit.
2. My favourite wargaming invention - the 'double box file' has allowed me to transport hundreds of pike armed figures for the last 20 years with very minimal damage. Thse who have seen my invention(I am so proud of it!!!!) will attest to its efficacy) :wink:

We are going to sculpt the tricornes in a style which doesn't look like the huge paper boats often seen on the heads of models from the WSS / WAS/SYW periods. They will be flatter and more folded in. The test cavalry sculpt will NOT be a production casting. We are likely to sculpt cavalry both with coats turned back and un pinned.

As mentioned before we'll have some barehead variants, karpus and cavalry variants. We haven;t discussed the Russians yet.

We are going to go ahead a do some further 'test sculpts' experimenting with style as we want to get the look right. The investors can have their say with these.

I have a fairly hectic work schedule at the moment with lots of international travel commits which are pretty disruptive but Clibinarium will start work anyway. Don't worry about the cost of this as I'll incorporate it into the overall project costs. No money required yet!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Barry,

I know you are travelling, but are there any developments on this?

Dannie
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Thu May 30, 2013 9:57 pm

would also be interested in the latest developments.i did get a pm from mr h last week . so i'm sure he said he is meeting his sculptors on possibly Saturday but I think it may well be to pick up horse's. but hopefully they'll be news soon.
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Fri May 31, 2013 10:27 pm

I can probably address this question as well or perhaps better than Barry.

The hold up is my fault. At the moment I am working on a set of dollies that will be foundational to just about all the infantry we ever do. They are blanks, being only legs and torsos, no heads or arms and no detail other than basic anatomy. The idea is to ensure consistency between ranges, and to allow me to work up figures faster than in the past.
To be honest I've been working on them for ages and have found them tough to get right, I probably have not sculpted anything else that I have restarted and chopped and changed so often. I think they will prove worth the effort in the long term, but Barry has been very patient with me.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks for the update!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks for that Clibinarium 8)
For all you committed parties hopefully that is encouraging news. We have not gone to sleep on this at all but as has been said, if we put a lot of planning in right now the ease with which large numbers of sculpts can be done and released is increased many fold. We are advanced with a lot of the ideas and the amount of releases we will get out this year will surpass anything we've done so far.
As previously mentioned there will be some test sculpts first to give everyone involved a feel for what is to come. The next few weeks should see lots of progress and lots of general noise from us in terms of figures, flags,books, articles and web ....

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:58 pm

sounds good .
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Barry & Clibinarium:
barr7430 wrote:Thanks for that Clibinarium 8)
For all you committed parties hopefully that is encouraging news.
We are advanced with a lot of the ideas and the amount of releases we will get out this year will surpass anything we've done so far.
Very encouraging, thanks for the "lift". Commitment is keeping well and I am more than ready to see a little extra time and attention on the project to ultimately see a state of the art GNW line emerge. 8)

Cheers to you both for your passion in this endeavor. :D

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:34 am

barr7430 wrote:Thanks for that Clibinarium 8)
For all you committed parties hopefully that is encouraging news. We have not gone to sleep on this at all but as has been said, if we put a lot of planning in right now the ease with which large numbers of sculpts can be done and released is increased many fold. We are advanced with a lot of the ideas and the amount of releases we will get out this year will surpass anything we've done so far.
As previously mentioned there will be some test sculpts first to give everyone involved a feel for what is to come. The next few weeks should see lots of progress and lots of general noise from us in terms of figures, flags,books, articles and web ....
does that mean we may well be seeing blb Ireland book very soon . well fingers crossed.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Mark,

first out will be DONNYBROOK.. we are hoping for a late summer release. Ireland is on the stocks. My trip there was the stimulus I needed to get on with it. I am now taking direct control of the writing. We have a plan for the photography and scenarios late out so we would like to think it will be out this year. Recent shows have seen the pressure build on us to get on with :
1. BLB Ireland
2. VWQ
3. Rally to the Colours
4. FOUR EMPIRES

so, no pressure then :roll:

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 pm

barr7430 wrote:Mark,

first out will be DONNYBROOK.. we are hoping for a late summer release. Ireland is on the stocks. My trip there was the stimulus I needed to get on with it. I am now taking direct control of the writing. We have a plan for the photography and scenarios late out so we would like to think it will be out this year. Recent shows have seen the pressure build on us to get on with :
1. BLB Ireland
2. VWQ
3. Rally to the Colours
4. FOUR EMPIRES

so, no pressure then :roll:
it will be worth the wait.
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Blank dollies off for molding, that sets things in motion finally.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:54 pm

Clibinarium wrote:Blank dollies off for molding, that sets things in motion finally.
looking good.so how long do you think it will be before we see examples of the new range
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Hard to say, it will depend the casting gods. These blank dolls are a new approach so how well they'll work is yet to be seen, but likely I'll work up a few samples as so as I get them.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:45 am

I think 2 weeks for the blank dollies and then over to Clibinarium for some fun. We've got loads of stuff in the pipe now.. It will start to drip out over the next few days both here and on the blog. I have invested very heavily over the last seven months to get a lot of this stuff off the ground and I haven't even started with the GNW expenditure as I don't want anyone to invest until we are at the jump off point for actual figure design which is steadily rumbling towards us. So chaps if you are sill in don't spend your money on too many holidays in Bali!

Henry Ford